Problems opening Word files on Nisus Writer Express

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
NLC1970

Problems opening Word files on Nisus Writer Express

Post by NLC1970 »

I've just installed the latest version of Nisus Writer Express which I downloaded from the Nisus site.

It doesn't seem to display my MS Word DOC and DOCX files correctly, and a search on this forum suggests that I might be missing the necessary converters?

Under the Preferences section, I don't see an option marked Advanced with the various import and conversion options.

Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

I'm running OS X El Capitan 10.11.1 and from memory, the version of Nisus Writer Express I downloaded was about 68MB.

Many thanks,

Nick.
Hamid

Re: Problems opening Word files on Nisus Writer Express

Post by Hamid »

Advanced tab under Preferences is available in Nisus Writer Pro.
See Nisus Writer Feature Comparison:
http://nisus.com/pro/comparison.php
NLC1970

Post by NLC1970 »

Hamid wrote:Advanced tab under Preferences is available in Nisus Writer Pro.
See Nisus Writer Feature Comparison:
http://nisus.com/pro/comparison.php
Thank you, Hamid.

The website clearly states that Nisus Writer Express can import DOC and DOCX files, so perhaps you could please tell me how?
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Hello Nick: what problems are you having exactly?

You said that Nisus Writer Express doesn't open your files "correctly", so I assume that means the documents are being opened, but something is amiss. Is that correct? If so, perhaps you can send us an example file and point out what exactly is going wrong.
NLC1970

Post by NLC1970 »

martin wrote:Hello Nick: what problems are you having exactly?

You said that Nisus Writer Express doesn't open your files "correctly", so I assume that means the documents are being opened, but something is amiss. Is that correct? If so, perhaps you can send us an example file and point out what exactly is going wrong.
Thank you, Martin.

The documents open without any problem, however none of the text styles and formatting carry over.

Is this normal?
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

For DOC files, formatting should be imported, but not the actual stylesheet. For example, if a document defines an Emphatic style that italicizes some text, the text should be imported as italic, but without a proper Emphatic style defined or applied.

For DOCX files, the import will probably cover just the text itself, without any formatting or styles.

This is normal for Nisus Writer Express, as it relies on the import capabilities provided by the system (Mac OS X). The import may improve or change with every version of OSX, but it's outside of our control.

For improved import capabilities, please try using Nisus Writer Pro. It uses a customized LibreOffice-based converter, which is much more thorough and handles all types of content, eg: stylesheets, tables, comments, etc.