Nisus auto save on close with no warning

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
MichaelGli

Nisus auto save on close with no warning

Post by MichaelGli »

I just migrated my Nisus 2.1.8 to a new iMac running 10.13.4 via a TimeMachine restore.
Now if I close a Nisus document that has unsaved changes it closes without a warning message and auto saves.
I can't find any preference to reset this, can you help?
Also, I thought the back up save was saved versions, but there was only one version, which matched the new save. Is there something wrong there too?
(I discovered this when I wanted to send the first half only of a document to a client, so I saved, deleted, exported to PDF and closed I thought without saving. Result, the loss of two days work. And in a perfect storm the time machine capsule was corrupted.)
Michael on a bad day.
Roger

Re: Nisus auto save on close with no warning

Post by Roger »

I think the information you are looking for begins on p. 383 of the downloadable manual.
MichaelGli

Post by MichaelGli »

Thanks, but I had tried the manual. My understanding of versioning and backup saves has always been that while they saved the current state of your work (so it was not lost in a crash) they did not overwrite the main file. It would only be overwritten via a save command. But what is happening is that auto save is over-writing the main file. The coincidence of this with the corrupt Time Capsule and loss of versions makes me suspect some underlying cause.
Hamid

Post by Hamid »

In any case, unsaved changes will be saved, but if you want to see a warning message for any unsaved changes, check the box in System Preferences:General
SaveChanges.jpg
SaveChanges.jpg (40.47 KiB) Viewed 16396 times
MichaelGli

Post by MichaelGli »

Hi, that looks like a workable solution but when I go to system preferences general I do not see the options you show (I'm using version 2.1.8).
I made a screen shot PDF and reduced its file size in Acrobat to 126KB but when I try to upload it I get a message that the file size is too large.
MichaelGli

Post by MichaelGli »

Screenshot-Nisus_smaller.jpg
Screenshot-Nisus_smaller.jpg (72.4 KiB) Viewed 16292 times
OK, took the pdf to Photoshop and made it a web jpg, bit of a tedious process to get a screen image.
Hamid

Post by Hamid »

In *System Preferences*, tab to General. There you will find the "Ask to keep changes when closing documnets" setting.
adryan

Post by adryan »

G’day, Michael et al

In case there’s any confusion: You’re looking at Nisus Writer Preferences, Michael, whereas Hamid is talking about the main System Preferences under the Apple logo at the top left of your screen.

Cheers,
Adrian
MacBook Pro (M1 Pro, 2021)
macOS Ventura
Nisus Writer user since 1996
Þorvarður

Post by Þorvarður »

MichaelGli wrote: 2018-05-07 21:00:32Also, I thought the back up save was saved versions, but there was only one version, which matched the new save. Is there something wrong there too?
When you say "back up save", are you then referring to saving a duplicate copy of each file to another location? (See Nisus Preferences –> Saving: Backups: Save duplicate copy of each file to another location.) If yes, then this option just saves the current state of your document in another location (no versions).
But what is happening is that auto save is over-writing the main file.
I apologize if I misunderstand, but I think that's the normal behavior. Isn't the auto-saved file and the "main file" here one and the same file?
Anyway, as long as a file has NOT been manually saved, the auto-save feature 'saves' it under the name 'Untitled' into a folder called "Autosave Information".
1.png
1.png (23.29 KiB) Viewed 16244 times
Look into this folder and check whether you find any files there. I actually stumbled upon this folder a couple of days ago when I found untitled notes there which I thought I had already deleted.
If you have a crash or quit Nisus, without manually saving a file, it will remain in the said folder as long as you don't delete it or save it manually. Save it manually: and that's the time when versioning sets in! Or in other words, a document that has never been manually saved has no versions, and all changes you make to it—be it additions or deletions— are mirrored by the auto-save feature.
Once a file has been manually saved, the versions feature (File –> Revert To –> Browse All Versions…) sets in.
Þorvarður

Post by Þorvarður »

MichaelGli wrote: 2018-05-14 17:56:14took the pdf [Do you mean 'png'?] to Photoshop and made it a web jpg, bit of a tedious process to get a screen image.
Maybe you used a sledgehammer to crack a nut. You can use Preview (the program) to reduce the size of screenshots.

1. Open the screenshot in Preview
2. Choose Export… from the File menu
3. Choose JPEG as Format
4. Drag the quality regulator to the left until you reach your preferred file size
5. Press the Save button
2.jpg
2.jpg (62.98 KiB) Viewed 16243 times