Install

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
Yohanan

Install

Post by Yohanan »

Hi,
As my MacBook was becoming a bit sluggish I rebuilt it and began from scratch to download and open Nisus Writer Pro in the hope that I will get a normally functioning app. I even let the "document" part appearing on the sidebar of the desktop in order to allow the program to have its Nisus Documents file at the default place. Fact is that the program did not ask for a place in order to put the Folder with Templates, Macros, Glossaries, etc. Instead it just opened a document. So I fear I still will get the elusive and disappearing templates I could define for Nisus.
The idea was that somehow my problems with Nisus were related to the fact that I had not organised correctly the app from the beginning. Now it is strange that it would not ask for installing a Nisus Document folder as indicated in the Nisus Pro Guide, for the MacBook has been totally erased and rebuilt so that, in principle, Nisus should follow the first steps of an installation.
I am aware everybody should rest and I have to wait for next week :) . Thanks in advance.
Yohanan

Re: Install

Post by Yohanan »

So I defined the main default for a new document in Preferences/New File/Advanced I chose a New Life set in Documents, which I named Nisus Documents.
The result being :
Screen Shot 2018-09-15 at 17.17.45.png
Screen Shot 2018-09-15 at 17.17.45.png (92.93 KiB) Viewed 14124 times
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-09-15 at 17.17.45.png
Screen Shot 2018-09-15 at 17.17.45.png (92.93 KiB) Viewed 14124 times
Yohanan

Post by Yohanan »

. . . which appears within Desktop/Documents/Nisus Documents
Yohanan

Post by Yohanan »

So, here is the question: do you see anything weird in this window ?
Yohanan

Post by Yohanan »

Anybody ? Any clue about the right installation of Nisus WP ?
Any help is welcome!
Yohanan

p.s.: Install

Post by Yohanan »

there was only one of the images here above – I did not understand first that the image was going to be inserted, so I did it twice.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

It sounds like your general approach is correct. That is, it's perfectly normal to establish a Document Manager folder for Nisus Writer in a location like ~/Documents/Nisus Documents.

But from your screenshots something might be amiss. Normally when you see gibberish file name suffixes like that it indicates a problem with in-place autosave. This could be a problem with Nisus Writer, or the Mac system. We don't actually handle any of the final file swapping and those temp files with the odd filename suffixes. That's all transparently managed by macOS to safely swap your files on disk when saving a new copy.

However, in general I wouldn't be too concerned about those kind of temp files. Probably a crash occurred in the middle of an autosave or something like that, leaving a stale temp file. Unless you are missing data, I would trash the temp files.

So, the question remains: what is the actual problem? In other words, what are you trying to achieve exactly? If you are trying to customize the new file template, you should visit Nisus Writer's preferences and switch to the "New File" pane. Once there you can either customize individual properties of the file (eg: the default font) or choose an entirely new template file.

If you still have any problems or questions please let me know. It would help to know what you're trying to do, and exactly what steps you're using.
Yohanan

Post by Yohanan »

Thank you so much Martin. This is a plain and clear question, the kind I like. So, what I am trying to create is a template with my diverse styles already defined. oing to the Preferences of Nisus Writer, then selecting the New Filer Pane, under the Rormat menu, I am offered to choose the language, the font and its default size. As well as the alignment and the before or after paragraph space. Which already good. However what I would like is to get 1) all my preferred styles and 2) a predefined header. Is this not the right place to achieve this ?
Thanks also for the advice to delete the gibberish in in the templates.
Yohanan
Yohanan

Post by Yohanan »

Sorry for the typing errors. New File Pane and under Format menu.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

I'm very happy to help! Thank you for the clarification. It sounds like you just want to customize the New File template a bit beyond what's offered by our controls in the preferences. That shouldn't be too difficult.

Basically what you want to do is open your Nisus New File template for editing. Once you have the template document open in Nisus Writer you can make arbitrary changes like customizing your styles, headers, window size, etc.

Here's the basic workflow:

1. Open Nisus Writer's preferences window.
2. Switch to the "New File" pane.
3. Switch to the "Advanced" tab.
4. Make sure the "Template File" is set to "Nisus New File".
5. Click the button "Open For Editing". The template document window opens on screen.
6. Make any and all changes you want to the template, save it, and close the template document window.

That should do it. Please let me know if you have any troubles or questions.

Oh and here's a screenshot of what you should see right before you click the Open For Editing button:
prefs.png
prefs.png (83.51 KiB) Viewed 14005 times
Yohanan

Post by Yohanan »

Thank you. This is very much helpful. As I have deleted all the strange "templates" and kept as Nisus New File one of my docs in which I had deleted all the contents of the doc itself and saved it as the template Nisus New File, I got the template I wanted for a new file. Now, I just followed the path you recommended in order to see how NWP works and I changed only a few minor variants in the settings (like the space after paragraph in my Normal style) and saved this (command-s). This is accepted by the app and kept in the window for the New File edition in Preferences of NWP, but if I quit and open the app again,I get this message:
Bookmark data previously captured for a file is invalid.
File path: ~/Nisus Documents/Untitled.rtf

From the beginning of using the app. I seem to be struggling with the location of the templates.

Thanks again for the help!
Yohanan
Yohanan

p.s. Re: Install

Post by Yohanan »

. . . no more this message in a new attempt, but still the precedent settings. Now once within the app if I ask for a new file, I do get the settings of the template Nisus New File.
Yohanan

Post by Yohanan »

trying again and I do not get the new settings, instead in the Nisus Document/Templates, I get this:

Screen Shot 2018-09-20 at 10.40.27.png
Yohanan

Post by Yohanan »

I am not able to place the screen shot in this place, sorry.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-09-20 at 10.40.27.png
Screen Shot 2018-09-20 at 10.40.27.png (61.75 KiB) Viewed 13932 times
Yohanan

Post by Yohanan »

well. . . apparently I was without knowing it. :D