User Interface

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
midwinter

Post by midwinter »

We can only hope. Ideally, I'd like to see something like a cross between Nisus and Macjournal. Actually, I wrote about my ideal application here.

But a document management drawer/tabbed interface is a good start.

Cheers
MacSailor

Post by MacSailor »

midwinter wrote:Something like this would be heavenly. If all NW did was give a little picture of the document and the filename, I'd be unbelievably happy.

It looks great. Hope the »Nisus People» will go for it. :D
Peter Edwardsson
cgc

Post by cgc »

If you have the Developer tools installed you could probably edit the .NIB files in Interface Builder and make them metallic. Iconverted several all metal programs to non-metal. Let me know if you'd like me to walk you through it...
midwinter

Post by midwinter »

Weird. The only way I can see the second page of this thread is to comment.
MacSailor

Post by MacSailor »

midwinter wrote:Weird. The only way I can see the second page of this thread is to comment.
I sent a message to the webamster yesterday about it, and it seems to be fixed now.
Peter Edwardsson
midwinter

Post by midwinter »

Peter Edwardsson wrote:I sent a message to the webamster yesterday about it, and it seems to be fixed now.
For some reason, I read your typo as "webhamster." ;)

Cheers
MacSailor

Post by MacSailor »

midwinter wrote:
Peter Edwardsson wrote:I sent a message to the webamster yesterday about it, and it seems to be fixed now.

Cheers
Hmm, it should be hebmaster, eh I mean nedbaster…finally I hope I typed it right: webmaster. :D

I never ever spell any words wrong, but sometimes the letters and the characters are not the same after I have typed them as they were in my head before I typed them. I do not know why… :?

Maybe that’s why I need NWE so badly?
Peter Edwardsson
midwinter

Post by midwinter »

Peter Edwardsson wrote:
midwinter wrote:

Cheers
Hmm, it should be hebmaster, eh I mean nedbaster…finally I hope I typed it right: webmaster. :D

I never ever spell any words wrong, but sometimes the letters and the characters are not the same after I have typed them as they were in my head before I typed them. I do not know why… :?
I just figured it was another glitch with the Nisus server. ;)
spike_s

The whole tabbed drawer interfacy thingy

Post by spike_s »

I too have MacJournal sitting in my dock next to Nisus Writer Express. Life would be incomplete without MacJournal. I have found no app similar to it on any other platform. It's the best freeform database for keeping track of text. I use it for note taking, recipe database, LiveJournal BLOGging..

Anyways.. For now.. we have to be content with what Apple gives us.. The Window menu.. you can switch between windows there without using Expose. However it is a pittance if you have long filenames, etc. At least we are humble with the fact that this is a Cocoa app that can handle long file names. Word v.X doesn't seem to know how, heh.

What I'd really find useful is an envelope assistant (wizard) with support for barcode labels and Apple's Address Book.app. Something like "SOHO Labels & Envelopes" Until I found that app, I was stuck using MS Word v.X just to get barcodes on my envelopes. Does anyone here feel that Nisus could use a good library of templates and assistants similar to those provided with Word or AppleWorks? It would be nice if Nisus could pull it off in a classier way than either Apple or Microsoft has attempted. I know it can read Microsoft DOT template files. It even seems to use them for it's Untitled New File Template. However it doesn't seem to obey the page and paragraph formatting of those templates.

I also would like an easy way to do bulleted/numbered lists w/o having to use line numbering and hanging indents. Any tips on that?
Scott