Hebrew font issue

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
msebban

Hebrew font issue

Post by msebban »

Hi
since the new version of NWP, i got issue in hebrew with some fonts (as it work well with Word or Mellel)
here's a screen shot
if someone's can help
Thank's
Attachments
hebrew font Times new Roman
hebrew font Times new Roman
Capture d’écran 5779-05-30 à 11.38.58.png (40.07 KiB) Viewed 18316 times
Daniel Siegel

Re: Hebrew font issue

Post by Daniel Siegel »

Could you be more precise about the exact nature of the problem? It looked to me like the font was fine, but the nekudot stopped in the middle.
While I don't know if this is relevant to your issue, but I generally use New Peninim when I need nekudot.
And I also saw what you might have been referring to: the end of the sentence has the first words at the end following the period. If that's the issue, it looks like a right to left formatting error.
The text is from the Zohar and the one I looked at had one word that yours didn't. Where are you taking the text from?
msebban

Post by msebban »

the nekoudot are not in place
the paragraph dot is not correct etc
with the same font and the same text on Mellel or Word i don't have this issue
so the issue is from NWP
thank's from help
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

What font are you using exactly? Can you send us an example document? Just a single sentence example document (as in your screenshot) would help. You can send it to us using the menu Help > Send Feedback or via email:
Daniel Siegel

Post by Daniel Siegel »

So I thought the font is Times New Roman which is what is listed under the screenshot.

I made a mistake: the quote as msebban had it doesn't have an extra word. Rather, one of the words is split in half. So what is after the period should be before it.

This looks to me either like a right to left issue or something about how the text from which this is copied is set up. That's why I asked from where msebban is copying the text. I copy Hebrew text from Judaic Classics (soon to be unusable) into NW all the time with no issue as long as I set my document to Hebrew and right to left.
msebban

Post by msebban »

it worked well for years so the source of the copying is not the issue i think
the issue come from diacritics none supported by NWP as, like i said, same document opened with Mellel or Word is good
Thank's
Daniel Siegel

Post by Daniel Siegel »

Are diacritics the same as nekudot?
Since I'm a heavy user of Hebrew, I would like to try and help.
Are you using the most recent version of NW?
Where is the Zohar text from which you are copying?

I'm happy to try and duplicate the problem if you can give me enough detail so I know how.
msebban

Post by msebban »

thank's for help
here's the document
times new roman font for hebrew
I underlined the words with bad diacritics
you can open the same doc in mellel or word to see the issue is not showing
Thank's
Daniel Siegel

Post by Daniel Siegel »

Sorry, but I don't see the document you mentioned.
msebban

Post by msebban »

https://www.dropbox.com/s/esfo9f462enbk ... e.rtf?dl=0
sorry can't attach file in rtf here, don't know why
here's a dropbox link
i also sent the file to Martin
Thank's a lot
Notice that the issue come from specifics nekoudot
Daniel Siegel

Post by Daniel Siegel »

I downloaded the document. When I removed your underlines from the text, indeed the nekudot were missing or inaccurate. However, when I changed the font to New Peninim, all the nekudot were in their right places.

I have had this issue myself. For whatever reasons, Times New Roman doesn't seem to recognize nekudot consistently. I tried doing the same for a biblical verse taken from Judaic Classics and had the same issue with Raanana, even though I didn't have it with either Times New Roman or New Peninim. I also tried copying and pasting text from Safari and did not have your issue with either New Peninim or Times New Roman.

So, even though I'm not clear as to why this is so, try changing your font to New Peninim and see if you have the same result that I had.

Again, this may be the fault of the source document. If you are using an online source, perhaps you could direct me to it and I'll see if I have the same result you have. I don't use either Word or Mellel, so I can't fully repeat what you did. It looked to me like your source was the Chok l'yisra'el and I found it online but couldn't duplicate your problem. I'm also using the most recent version of NW.

Martin, does this make sense to you?
Daniel Siegel

Post by Daniel Siegel »

One more thing: In the file you sent me, the last line was in a font call Narkisim, which is not in the list of fonts. When I changed that to Times New Roman, the nekudot no longer worked, as they didn't for you. But when I changed it to New Peninim, the nekudot were restored. When I tried Raanana, again the nekudot weren't correct.
msebban

Post by msebban »

yes the issue is with Time New roman and perhaps other fonts
But with Times New Roman (same font) in Mellel or Word, the nekkoudot are fine with Times New Roman
so there's an issue in NWP with Times New roman and probably other fonts
Thank's
msebban

Post by msebban »

I use too new peninim MT
i don't know where to load New Peninim
and it works very well
Daniel Siegel

Post by Daniel Siegel »

See if you have New Peninim in the Font Book.

As I said, I now think the issue is not with Times New Roman but with Narkisim, which I think is a PC font, so the placement of nekudot may be different from the way it is in a Mac.