how to change background colors. Confused by the number of choices

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
ronald

how to change background colors. Confused by the number of choices

Post by ronald »

Hello,
I want to change the background (not print) colors of the 2 areas below.
There are so many options in preferences → appearance → colors that I don't know which entity I should change the color of. I just need to know what I need to change the color of. After that I know how to change the color.
thank you

RGB NisusWriterPro.png
RGB NisusWriterPro.png (102.67 KiB) Viewed 6585 times
Þorvarður

Re: how to change background colors. Confused by the number of choices

Post by Þorvarður »

Black.png
Black.png (44.07 KiB) Viewed 6566 times
adryan

Post by adryan »

G’day, ronald et al

I agree, it can be confusing.

Preferences > Appearance > Colors > Document Views

I concern myself here only with background colors, not text colors; and I don’t bother with the Navigator.

Draft background → Entire usable portion of window in Draft View (basically the whole window including the Status Bar but excluding the Toolbar and Rulers) when window view is not set to Full Screen. I think the Status Bar should also be excluded here.

Full screen background → Entire usable portion of window in Draft View when window view is set to Full Screen; any unusable portion of the window (apart from the Toolbar and Rulers) is colored as chosen in “Full screen gutter”. This Preference should really be called “Full screen draft background”. And again I think the Status Bar should be excluded from coloration by this Preference.

Full screen gutter → Unusable portion of window in Draft View when window view is set to Full Screen. The denotation of “gutter” here notwithstanding, it might be clearer if this Preference were called “Full screen draft gutter”; even better would be “Full screen draft backdrop” (see below).

Page backdrop → Unusable portion of window in Page View (whether or not window view is set to Full Screen). It roughly corresponds to the “gutter” in Full Screen Draft View.

Page color → Entire usable portion of window in Page View (whether or not window view is set to Full Screen).

Page frame → Thin border surrounding the usable portion of the window in Page View (whether or not window view is set to Full Screen).

Note that “background” essentially refers to the usable portion of the window, while “backdrop” refers to the entire window — excluding Toolbar, Rulers, etc, in both cases.

So the ones you want are “Page backdrop” and “Page color”.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
Adrian
MacBook Pro (M1 Pro, 2021)
macOS Ventura
Nisus Writer user since 1996
ronald

Post by ronald »

thank you very much Adrian !