Install beta for Sonoma crashes on App Store NWP?

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
PAUser

Install beta for Sonoma crashes on App Store NWP?

Post by PAUser »

In another thread I was glad to see that there's a beta NWP to address some of the more serious causes of crashes after installing Sonoma. However, when I try to install the beta, it offers the options of using a trial version for 15 days, buying NWP, or using the license # for NWP that's already purchased. But, since I purchased from the Apple App Store, there is no license #.

The crashing is so frequent that NWP is unusable for me at this time. And I understand that it's not advised to have two versions of NWP at the same time. I need clarification on this. The User Guide says don't "run" two versions at the same time. But if I keep my existing, highly customized version of NWP on my Mac, can I download and use the beta until a final fix and then revert to the previous version? Or will that mess up existing file access or file versions or something like that? Not sure what course to take here.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: Install beta for Sonoma crashes on App Store NWP?

Post by martin »

PAUser wrote: 2023-10-05 03:34:38 The User Guide says don't "run" two versions at the same time. But if I keep my existing, highly customized version of NWP on my Mac, can I download and use the beta until a final fix and then revert to the previous version? Or will that mess up existing file access or file versions or something like that?
You can keep both app versions on your Mac and they won't mess anything up. You can even run them intermittently if you want, switching between apps whenever you need.

The only concern is that you should never have two app versions running simultaneously at the same time. That may indeed cause some confusion. However, this is not a dire problem. If you launch one version of Nisus Writer while another is running, it will warn you before completing its launch, so you have a chance to quit one of the apps.

Rest assured that we will eventually release an update for the Mac App Store version of Nisus Writer, once we finish our beta period and smooth out Sonoma issues. In the meantime you can run the beta version distributed directly by us.
David Sharp

Post by David Sharp »

Given the problems noted on several recent threads here, and given the fact that, according to Tidbits, Sonoma is structured in such a way that it's difficult to revert to Ventura once you've installed it, I assume the best policy for NWP users is to hold back from upgrading until all this has been fixed.

I say this because thanks to the alerts from Apple, I've been on the point of clicking on the "upgrade" button on my M2 MacBook Pro a couple of times in the past few days.

I realise that there are more intrepid and knowledgeable folks who willingly download and use beta versions, and I respect that—but I'm not one of them!
adryan

Post by adryan »

G'day, all

I agree with David in this. In my opinion, apart from developers and those who absolutely have to replace their existing computer with a new one immediately (with the new operating system pre-installed), anyone who transfers their everyday work to a just-released operating system should recognize they are playing with a toy and not a serious proven reliable working environment. I am not just talking about beta versions: I mean all early-release versions. You have to ask yourself whether it is more important to continue with applications you know and trust or to play with the latest toy.

When it comes to Sonoma, I looked down Apple's long page of the miracles on offer and could find nothing of great substance. It is pretty much tinsel and fairy floss. If it eventually transpires that it is in fact the most stable and problem-free operating system Apple has produced in recent years, I might be prepared to upgrade. Until that happy day arrives, I've got serious work to do and no time for playing.

Cheers,
Adrian
MacBook Pro (M1 Pro, 2021)
macOS Ventura
Nisus Writer user since 1996
David Sharp

Post by David Sharp »

G'day Adryan

My reply would tend to start with "Yes, but..."

Yes, but I'm continually reading that each new version of the OS fixes a host of security problems, often qualified with a phrase such as "which are currently being exploited".

From the software viewpoint, as expressed by Adryan, we are encouraged to wait. But other voices are telling us to be in a permanent state of terror, which we can only allay by upgrading straight away—until the next set of problems comes around.

I don't see any way to resolve this contradiction, at least not under the present set-up.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

David Sharp wrote: 2023-10-05 22:43:57 Yes, but I'm continually reading that each new version of the OS fixes a host of security problems, often qualified with a phrase such as "which are currently being exploited".

From the software viewpoint, as expressed by Adryan, we are encouraged to wait. But other voices are telling us to be in a permanent state of terror, which we can only allay by upgrading straight away—until the next set of problems comes around.
This is an important consideration. However, usually Apple also releases security updates for older versions of macOS. You can see on Apple's security release list that even older versions like macOS Ventura still receive updates. So just be sure you always install minor system updates and security patches, even if you don't want the big new system version.

That said, don't fall too far behind. At some point Apple stops releasing security updates for older system versions. In looking at Apple's security release list it seems like Big Sur is the oldest supported version. Though I recommend staying more current than that. My assumption is that Apple spends less time analyzing/testing older system versions, even when it comes to security. For many reasons the ideal "delayed upgrade" strategy is probably to use the most recent release of the prior major system version, e.g. right now I would recommend macOS Ventura 13.6.