Converting Request

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
Matze

Converting Request

Post by Matze »

Hi Charles, hi Nisus team!

Will it be possible that one can select a word and convert it say capitalized without loosing the selection? I might like to format the selection afterwards (say bold).

I mean, it works when only formating a selection, why not with converting?

Best, Matze
cgc

Post by cgc »

"WordServices" adds this and much more to the Mac OS X Services Menu and it's free http://www.devon-technologies.com/produ ... eeware.php

"This service provides 34 functions to convert, format or speak the currently selected text, to insert data or to show statistics of the selection within all Cocoa applications (for example TextEdit, Mail, Stickies, Notes, Fire, OmniWeb, ProjectBuilder or TeXShop) and Carbon applications supporting services.

Features: Reformat, Remove line endings/multiple spaces/quotes, Trim line beginnings/line endings/lines, Sort lines ascending/descending, Shift left/light, Initial caps of words/sentences, All caps & lowercase, Mac/Windows/Unix line endings, Rotate 13, Straight/Smart Quotes, Encode/Decode tabs, Insert date/date & time/time/contents of path, Speak native/german text, Statistics.

Version 2.5 features new commands for inserting time and date in long, verbose format, and comes with new keyboard shortcuts. Version 2.5.1 updates the French, Italian and Dutch localisations, is compiled using GCC 3.3 and therefore faster, and comes with a description about how to fix the Carbon services menu bug (empty services menu under certain circumstances). Version 2.5.2 of the Mac OS X Services menu plug-in comes with a revised French localisation and now sorts lines."
Matze

Post by Matze »

cgc wrote:"WordServices" adds this and much more to the Mac OS X Services Menu and it's free http://www.devon-technologies.com/produ ... eeware.php
Hello cgc,

sorry but you are missing my point.

If you choose any formating from a Service or the converting menu of NWE to a selection, the selection disappears and you have to double click the word again, when you want to do further formating.

This does not apply to characterformating like bold, italic though etc.

Best, Matze
cgc

Post by cgc »

I was merely trying to help you. So it maynot be an ideal solution, but it is a solution, nontheless. :evil:
Matze

Post by Matze »

cgc wrote:I was merely trying to help you. So it maynot be an ideal solution, but it is a solution, nontheless. :evil:
Hello,

I am sorry, you are offended. You were helpful and I thank you for that. I have downloaded the services package and find it very useful!

But it isn't a solution to the problem, I have tried to describe.
It is just that a selection disappears as soon as you have formated the selection once. I want to format the selected text twice or more often without being forced to select it again and again with every formating.

This is all I am complaining about.

Best, Matze
cgc

Post by cgc »

Not offended. I pointed out a partial solution (I understand your issue with the text becoming delected) but this is one step forward and beats manually changing a lot of text. Why can't you simply do all the styling changes (where the text remains selected) then do the case change last, so when it is deselected you are done anyways.

You are right, a simple feature like this should be implemented. I use it quite regularly in Word.