Express Sneak Peek Feedback Thread

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
gemboy27

preferences

Post by gemboy27 »

I've tried to set up a preference in 2.5 a2 several times

what I want is when I open a new file (or wishfully an old one) in the tool bar window to have 'character' 'language' and 'paragraph'

I tried to do it in the 'T' window/button, do you have to do it in the blank or 'page' window/button.

I think I have figured this out, but it is a little confusing.

what is the purpose of each button??

pencil: language tools
T: formating
rectangle/window: tables
blank: for personalizing??????

I know this is a little muddled, sorry
George
I have never let my schooling interfere with my education/Mark Twain (1835-1910)
cgc

Post by cgc »

Do you suggest these button icons aren't informative/intuitive enough?
gemboy27

Post by gemboy27 »

well I am not sure

I have not be able to save the buttons the way I want them.

I am not sure if they have to be intuitive, I just need them to save in such a way that they will not have to be recreated for every file I open up.

thanks
George
I have never let my schooling interfere with my education/Mark Twain (1835-1910)
Greiggy

Bullets

Post by Greiggy »

Great to have bullets at last but they appear with a kind of grey rectangle around them.
phensel

Saving palette modifications

Post by phensel »

I can't speak for Gemboy27, but I personally have no problem with the button icons -- in fact, I prefer these to the pull-down menu in earlier versions, because they make it easier to get to the needed palettes quickly. My biggest problem with 2.5 alphas 1-2 (which Gemboy27 appears to share) is that any customization of the Tooldrawer contents isn't saved across sesssions. Sure, one can change the palettes that are accessed by any or all of the button icons, but these changes are lost as soon as the program is quit, and they must be reentered again upon restarting.

Or is there some (obvious or non-obvious) way to make sure that customized sidebars are saved across sessions with the alphas, which I haven't noticed? Might this involve replacing the Nisus New File.dot, which 2.5a2 asked me to do when I first opened it? I allowed it to replace this file last week when I was first experimenting with 2.5a2, and I promptly lost my customizations from 2.1.x -- so I deleted 2.5a2 and went back to the older version for a few days. A few posts on this forum made me decide to reinstall the alpha today, but this time I decided not to replace the .dot file, just in case...

Paul
MacSailor

Re: Saving palette modifications

Post by MacSailor »

phensel wrote:I personally have no problem with the button icons -- in fact, I prefer these to the pull-down menu in earlier versions, because they make it easier to get to the needed palettes quickly. Paul
Same here, I prefer the button icons.
Peter Edwardsson
joao

Post by joao »

There are two problems with the button icons:

1. There are only four of them.

2. The icons presuppose tool palettes' functions.

For those of us who have more than four palettes/drawers, and have them organized beyond how the alpha assumes we will, this becomes a limitation.

I know I've said this before, but I feel it's worth saying again.
MacSailor

Post by MacSailor »

joao wrote:There are two problems with the button icons:

1. There are only four of them.

2. The icons presuppose tool palettes' functions.

For those of us who have more than four palettes/drawers, and have them organized beyond how the alpha assumes we will, this becomes a limitation.

I know I've said this before, but I feel it's worth saying again.
You've got some points there. So what to do about it? Any ideas or suggestions?
Peter Edwardsson
Meuh

Too many menus

Post by Meuh »

Is there any way of trimming Nisus's menus? I count 11 of them, going from "Nisus Writer Express" on the left to "Debug" on the right, and because I'm working on a 12in Powerbook they obscure some of my third-party menu items. I expect Debug will vanish once 2.5 is out of alpha/beta, but even without that there will be problems. Just trimming "Nisus Writer Express" back to "Nisus" would make a lot of difference.
cchapin

Ruler quirk

Post by cchapin »

I've recently experienced a pair of quirks in paragraph spacing and the ruler tag. In my default Nisus New File.dot, the Normal style with 0 points of spacing before and after paragraphs. Yet when I create a new document, there is extra space between paragraphs.

When I check the Paragraph palette in either Page View or Draft View, it says Before: 0 pt, After: 6 pt. Yet when I switch to the Style Sheet and select Normal style, the Paragraph palette says Before: 0 pt, After: 6 pt. I checked Preferences - New Document - Format, and there, too, it says 0 points before and 0 points after.

A ruler tag appears at the bottom of the document window, but when I select all and select Remove Ruler nothing changes. I notice, though that if I change the margins then try to remove the ruler, this also has no effect. I haven't noticed a corresponding problem with other tags.

I'm posting this to the forum because the Report a Bug item in the Help menu is grayed out.

--Craig

Postscript: I notice that the same problem afflicts 2.1.3.
Last edited by cchapin on 2005-05-17 09:53:27, edited 1 time in total.
cgc

Post by cgc »

Giving the Sneak Peek a try and looks good overall. When I look at the print preview the entire header block is black and the numbers in numbered lists (e.g. "1. ") are gray in the print preview.

Thanks.
dave
Official Nisus Person

Express 2.5 Alpha Build 3 Now Available

Post by dave »

Get it at the <a href="http://www.nisus.com/sneakpeek/">usual place</A>. No release notes, but lots of bugs squashed, and a few introduced (hey, it's an alpha build!).

You will need to be using Tiger (Mac OS X 10.4) in order to use this build. This is a bug and will be fixed in later builds. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Your feedback is important to us, so keep those cards, letters, and posts coming!

Thanks,

Dave
MacSailor

Re: Express 2.5 Alpha Build 3 Now Available

Post by MacSailor »

dave wrote: You will need to be using Tiger (Mac OS X 10.4) in order to use this build.
Have you abandoned Panther completely or will NWE 2.5 (when finally released) support 10.3 as well?
Peter Edwardsson
charles

Post by charles »

Peter:

We will support Panther. We are having some problems with getting Apple's new development tools in Tiger to support Panther as well. (Which is should do.) We will release an alpha when we have a fix for it.

-Charles
Charles Jolley
Nisus Software, Inc.
MacSailor

Post by MacSailor »

charles wrote:We will support Panther. We are having some problems with getting Apple's new development tools in Tiger to support Panther as well. (Which is should do.) We will release an alpha when we have a fix for it.
Great! 8)

Edit: I downloaded alpha 3 and managed to launched it. It seems to be working in Panther as far as I can tell. 8)
Peter Edwardsson