Official Nisus Writer Express 2.7 Beta Thread

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Sorry for the additional newlines on copy-paste and drag-drop guys. That bug looks like it crept into beta3 just before release. We'll fix this soon.
spell check isn't working, or it finds miss-spelled words, but doesn't offer suggestions
Hm, I can't reproduce this. Any chance the language/dictionary for the text isn't set properly?
Yet I have not managed to decrease the size (vertical) of the footer. So, I end up with this rather substantial lower page margin. Could this be a bug?
Don't worry about your icon comment, no offense was taken. I'm not sure very many people like our blue crystalized naked Nisus man :P

As for your footers, you should be able to grab that top border and just drag it down. However, you could also try decreasing the bottom page margin using the Margins palette. If neither of these solutions work, perhaps you have something in the footer that is forcing the footer to be large? For instance, if your line spacing is set higher than 1x, it will require spacing for that.
gemboy27

Post by gemboy27 »

martin wrote:Sorry for the additional newlines on copy-paste and drag-drop guys. That bug looks like it crept into beta3 just before release. We'll fix this soon.
spell check isn't working, or it finds miss-spelled words, but doesn't offer suggestions
Hm, I can't reproduce this. Any chance the language/dictionary for the text isn't set properly?
hmm, I can't reproduce it either. It seems i thad something to do with copying text from a web site -- hence the helvetica font.. but works now

thanks

I like the blue man, it's almost like a threatrical group. Now you guys work more intimately at Nisus, I never knew he was naked..
I have never let my schooling interfere with my education/Mark Twain (1835-1910)
Bob Stern

Post by Bob Stern »

While you're fixing the copy-paste bug, can you please eliminate the insertion of a space when text is pasted immediately after an open quotation mark?
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

gemboy27 wrote:Now you guys work more intimately at Nisus, I never knew he was naked..
:lol: lol
Bob Stern wrote:While you're fixing the copy-paste bug, can you please eliminate the insertion of a space when text is pasted immediately after an open quotation mark?.
sure, why not!
bettina

shortcuts

Post by bettina »

Hi,
can you assign keyboard shortcuts to characters from the special characters palette? This would be really helpful.
Thanks, Bettina
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Beta 4 is available for testing. It fixes that annoying "additional newline on every paste" bug that we added during the last beta, and many more. The beta bunnies demand your compliance in downloading this new build.

Have a good weekend folks!
gemboy27

downloading now

Post by gemboy27 »

hooka

thanks

---
or you could go back to dos: http://www.theraconteurs.com/
I have never let my schooling interfere with my education/Mark Twain (1835-1910)
cgc

Post by cgc »

martin wrote:If any of you have any comments on anything besides how hideous our icons are, we're happy to hear it ;) Especially if you do work with footnotes and endnotes, since we'd really like to make them solid for this release.
We appreciate you concentrating on the things that are important such as functionality, but I'm sure a lot of people would like the icons to be improved. Aesthetics are an important aspect and would be a (small) factor in deciding between two similar products (such as Mellel and NWE).

Something to consider when the next bug-free version of NWE is released :)
gemboy27

heavy

Post by gemboy27 »

I liked to weigh in...

I think the icons are okay...or I am at least content with them

adding functions are higher up on the list.... For example: I have been blogging a bit and using NWE to do the writing, then transerfering either direction to blogger.com or using MarsEdit ( http://ranchero.com/marsedit/ ) to do the posting. It would be neato to post from NWE, but right now that would be a luxury...I think things are good as they are.
gemboy27

Nisus is cool

Post by gemboy27 »

the beta 4 seems to be working good

is there a way to make a short cut to open certain dot files

like cmd-n would be the default
but it would be neat to do shift-cmd-n for blog.dot

thanks
Gem*Boy
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Another night, another beta.
Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus

Post by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus »

Looks great! Speaking of extra spaces: how about fixing the bug with extra spaces inserted when pasting text after em dashes and en dashes? That would be absolutely awesome!
PowerPC; Mac OS 10.5.8; NWP 1.4
David Waterhouse

Post by David Waterhouse »

I tried out Beta 5 this morning; and, while it is much more responsive than, say, 2.6.1, it is still not foolproof. After only a few minutes of making adjustments to the spacing in my footnotes I (again) got the message about an internal error occurring. I then re-opened my file twice more in Beta 5, and eventually I was able to make the alterations I wanted.

I have another query which is unrelated. I often mingle Chinese and Japanese script with Roman, in both the main text and footnotes; and the spacing always comes out uneven, with a gap in the line immediately following one containing kanji. I have tried adjusting spacing, using the paragraph toolbar, but without success. Is there any way to change the size of the kanji font without affecting the choice and size of my preferred main font? Is there a better solution? I am using the Times system font with Hiragino Mincho, both of them being set to 12 point. I do not remember having this problem with Nisus Writer.
Agnostus

Post by Agnostus »

The internal error when adjusting footnotes seems to be a more common problem. I stumbled into it with beta 4. Now I feel a bit bad because I didn't send feedback back then... :oops:
dave
Official Nisus Person

Post by dave »

It's been a week, so it's about time for another beta.

For those who love to read, here are the release notes.