Duplicate Paragraph Styles

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
Bob Stern

Duplicate Paragraph Styles

Post by Bob Stern »

I haven't figured out what I'm doing to cause this, but occasionally I discover that duplicates have been created of some of my paragraph styles. The duplicates have the same name as the original style but with a suffix of 1, 2, etc.

This is a nuisance because, before deleting the duplicate style, I have to use the command "Select All with Style" and then scroll through the entire document looking for text formatted with the spurious style. Generally, there is none!

One way to reduce the pain caused by this problem would be to provide an option when a style is deleted to select another style to be applied to all text using the style to be deleted. (Apple's Pages does this.) If no text has this style, then this option should appear.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: Duplicate Paragraph Styles

Post by martin »

Bob Stern wrote:before deleting the duplicate style, I have to use the command "Select All with Style" and then scroll through the entire document looking for text formatted with the spurious style.
When you delete the style it should warn you if the style is actually in use.
Bob Stern wrote:One way to reduce the pain caused by this problem would be to provide an option when a style is deleted to select another style to be applied to all text using the style to be deleted.
This is definitely the way to go I think. I've filed this as a feature request.
gemboy27

and

Post by gemboy27 »

Could you think about a way of limiting this from happening.

I am pretty simple and when I have set up 'normal' to be the way I want it, I am frustrated to see (and I am not sure how it happens) normal1 and normal2...

It's easy to do cmd-a and select normal, but I would like to only create a style when I want to create a style.. (not unintentionally)
I have never let my schooling interfere with my education/Mark Twain (1835-1910)
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: and

Post by martin »

These extra styles can get created when you paste in content from an external source (including other Nisus documents). Basically if both the destination document and the source material have styles of the same name but different attributes then the source style's are renamed.
gemboy27 wrote:Could you think about a way of limiting this from happening.
What about a prompt that warned you of the style conflict and allowed you to either rename the conflicting style, or replace the style using the destination document's style?
cchapin

Post by cchapin »

That's probably a reasonable solution. Perhaps the dialog could include a "Do not ask me again during this session" checkbox or some other easily accessible way to turn the feature on and off. Otherwise I'd worry about pop-up overload.

--Craig
Bob Stern

Post by Bob Stern »

martin wrote:What about a prompt that warned you of the style conflict and allowed you to either rename the conflicting style, or replace the style using the destination document's style?
Yes, that would be wonderful. Thanks!
gemboy27

it is one solution

Post by gemboy27 »

I concure
I have never let my schooling interfere with my education/Mark Twain (1835-1910)
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

For anyone watching this topic, the new beta (number 6) has got this feature added.
gemboy27

Re: and

Post by gemboy27 »

I noticed this feature seems to be not working for me, if I turned it off by clicking a box, how do I turn it back on

Gem*Boy

martin wrote:These extra styles can get created when you paste in content from an external source (including other Nisus documents). Basically if both the destination document and the source material have styles of the same name but different attributes then the source style's are renamed.
gemboy27 wrote:Could you think about a way of limiting this from happening.
What about a prompt that warned you of the style conflict and allowed you to either rename the conflicting style, or replace the style using the destination document's style?
cchapin

Post by cchapin »

If you check the "Do not ask again for this document as long as it remains open" box, then to get the dialog back, you would need to close that document and reopen it. (Naturally you couldn't know this if you didn't read the dialog carefully before you checked the box.)

--Craig
gemboy27

hmmm

Post by gemboy27 »

I closed NWE, opened a new file, copied the text below and pasted it, and it pasted it without a question

my normal font is Georgia and it pasted in Helvetica -- with no questions
gemboy27

so here I am

Post by gemboy27 »

well that was fun, I deleted my "new file.dot" file, when I deleted my preference file to see if that would change around the paste window that comes up

the paste window came up when I had a generic new file.dot, but after I put in all my info and paragraph styles, it no longer worked

10.4.6 intel iMac g5
NWE 2.7b8
cchapin

Post by cchapin »

gemboy27 wrote:I closed NWE, opened a new file, copied the text below and pasted it, and it pasted it without a question

my normal font is Georgia and it pasted in Helvetica -- with no questions
I think there might possibly be some confusion here about styles and attributes. Attributes are things like font size, italics, paragraph spacing, etc. Styles are combinations of attributes that are saved under a name in the Style Sheet.

The duplicate styles dialog catches styles that conflict with existing styles of the same names. If you paste text that does not contain styles, the dialog won't be triggered, even if that text has attributes applied to it. If you paste styles with names that don't exist in your document, the dialog won't be triggered. If you paste styles that are identical in name and in attributes, the dialog won't be triggered.

The dialog is only triggered when you paste text that contains a named style when the attributes of that style conflict with the attributes of a style in your document that has the same name.

--Craig
cchapin

Re: so here I am

Post by cchapin »

gemboy27 wrote:well that was fun, I deleted my "new file.dot" file, when I deleted my preference file to see if that would change around the paste window that comes up

the paste window came up when I had a generic new file.dot, but after I put in all my info and paragraph styles, it no longer worked
The way I've been testing is to to
* open two blank documents
* modify a style in the style sheet of one of the documents
* switch to Draft or Page View
* type some text in the modified style
* select the text
* copy it
* paste it into the other document (the one one with the unmodified style sheet)

If you follow these steps, does the dialog appear?

--Craig
gemboy27

that works

Post by gemboy27 »

Yes that brings up the window, though it doesn't explain why, once I set up the new file.dot the way I want it and I paste Helvetica into it...

shouldn't it question it, because --- conrary to previous statement by Craig -- wouldn't the text from a web page have a 'style' if not an actual name. I know when I reset everything a cut and pasted it saw it as not 'normal'