About to give up on NWE

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
rmwalker

Post by rmwalker »

Yes, with NWE in OS 10.39, but not related to the few documents that I have translated form Appleworks. Crashes occur with NWE native documents that have been hyphenated. Any attempt to alter these documents again leads to random hyphenation throughout the document, which requires a paragraph by paragraph correction from the first to the last. Eventually this document repeatedly crashes the application and then will simply not open. As for as I can tell this document is lost forever, an even worse characteristic for a word processing application than a simple crash.
midwinter

Post by midwinter »

rmwalker wrote:Yes, with NWE in OS 10.39, but not related to the few documents that I have translated form Appleworks. Crashes occur with NWE native documents that have been hyphenated. Any attempt to alter these documents again leads to random hyphenation throughout the document, which requires a paragraph by paragraph correction from the first to the last. Eventually this document repeatedly crashes the application and then will simply not open. As for as I can tell this document is lost forever, an even worse characteristic for a word processing application than a simple crash.
Have you submitted the document to Nisus through the help menu? The more broken documents they have, the better they can make the translation stuff in future versions.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Not that this is useful of me, but I just want to underscore what midwinter suggests. Submitting a problem file to Nisus is extremely helpful to them. I've done it on a couple of occasions, and typically within a day or two the hard-working Nisus folks get back to me thanking me and describing their fix.

Huzzah for sending feedback!
bettina

Post by bettina »

In my experience NWE can't handle longer documents (more than 50 pages) and/or a lot of footnotes (more than say 50). On my computer those documents keep crashing all the time. Sending them to Nisus has not helped at all. For now, I had to go back to Word since unfortunately NWE is virtually useless to me.
I will switch back to NWE as soon as those problems are solved.
joehardy

Post by joehardy »

bettina wrote:In my experience NWE can't handle longer documents (more than 50 pages) and/or a lot of footnotes (more than say 50). On my computer those documents keep crashing all the time. Sending them to Nisus has not helped at all. For now, I had to go back to Word since unfortunately NWE is virtually useless to me.
I will switch back to NWE as soon as those problems are solved.
I can't attest to issues with footnotes because I usually don't have that many in an academic document.
But I have a file of non-fiction short stories that currently runs 90+ pages and NWE handles it very well. Scrolling, for example, is quicker than in Word 2004 (possibly because NWE is universal binary and Word is not.)
<a href="http://web.mac.com/joehardy">Blog the Day!</a>
rmwalker

"About to give up on NWE"

Post by rmwalker »

I nave not given up on NWE. I love the soft ware. Its primary limitations are those imposed by my current ignorance and lack of experience with the application. I do submit each document. They are not long documents, or are they complicated. I have also sumitted detailed information regarding my machine, other applications that may produce potential conflicts, and have removed any applications that I feel are not essential to my continued use of my hardware.

Thus far, there have been no useful suggestions. My documents apparently can be manipulated without difficulties on Nisus machines, with OS 10.4 and more recently with OS 10.39. As I have previously stated, I no long will risk the use of hyphenation and these has dramatically limited the problems, but not entirely. Other problems include random, and unexpected insertion of 1 1/2 spaced lines, and most recently a letter where the entire text was moved to the left. When I corrected this, the document crashed the application and I had to start over with a new document, which was completed without further difficulties. The software appears to "corrupt' documents, which then crash the program. This is very unusual for a MacIntosh, particularly since OS 10 arrived.
midwinter

Post by midwinter »

Are these documents created in NWE? These kinds of problems are pretty odd.
Anne Cuneo

Post by Anne Cuneo »

In my experience NWE can't handle longer documents (more than 50 pages) and/or a lot of footnotes (more than say 50). On my computer those documents keep crashing all the time. Sending them to Nisus has not helped at all. For now, I had to go back to Word since unfortunately NWE is virtually useless to me.
I will switch back to NWE as soon as those problems are solved
I have already stated this in another thread, but let me tell you once more that I just completed a 80'000-word novel, 140 pages or so, in one file. Never the slightest glitch.
The problems I see described here are old, and have been solved long ago.
So allow me to ask, as in the other thread, the silly questions: have you repaired you permissions before and after installing Nisus? Do you do that regularly? Did you reconstruct your desktop recently?
Try re-installing Nisus after having repaired permissions, after which run a prebind program, re-repair permissions, reconstruct the desktop maybe (it won't hurt), and then try a 50 page Nisus document - or even a 100 one, I bet you'll see… :wink:
To repair permissions, reconstruct and such, there is for instance ToolsX3, it does it all.
Anne
rmwalker

Post by rmwalker »

Where do I find and English wesite for ToolsX3?
Anne Cuneo

Post by Anne Cuneo »

I don't know, really, if Tools exists in English. I hadn't thought of that problem. I suggest you ask the author directly: toolsx@free.fr
ToolsX3 is freeware, maybe you can try to use it in French anyway, it's extremely easy to understand.
Franck Mereo, the author, is very friendly. And if you really don't want to use that, I am sure he can suggest something else.
There is Onyx, also freeware, but it's less reliable, I find, and it only repairs permissions.
While you solve this problem, you can repair your permission from the Preferences of your Mac, by the way, and also reconstruct the desktop from there. Tools does it better and quicker, but still…
Anne
MacSailor

Post by MacSailor »

Another tool is Cocktail, but that's shareware and not freeware.
Peter Edwardsson
rmwalker

Post by rmwalker »

I repair permissions regularly, with other schedulted maintenance, and I have reinstalled NWE several times. I plan to repair permission, reinstall NWE, repair permissions, prebind, and reconstruct my desktop. I'll let you know. Thanx for all the help!
rmwalker

Post by rmwalker »

I repair permissions regularly, with other schedulted maintenance, and I have reinstalled NWE several times. I plan to repair permission, reinstall NWE, repair permissions, prebind, and reconstruct my desktop. I'll let you know. Thanx for all the help!
ssampler

Post by ssampler »

Try deleting the plist file from your user library. That has fixed some unusual problems.
midwinter

Post by midwinter »

Agreed. That's probably what it is.