Screen line spacing gaps, printing mangled, on iMac

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
NoMoreWindows4Me

Screen line spacing gaps, printing mangled, on iMac

Post by NoMoreWindows4Me »

On Intel 2 GHz core duo iMac (OSX Tiger 10.4.9 w/1 G RAM) w/HP printer:

1. When typing simple text, I can't control line spacing after a RETURN. I can type
List Item A

List Item B,

but not
List Item A
List Item B.

i.e., I can't eliminate the blank line between truncated lines. This fills pages quickly when typing in this mode.

2. I can't print a useful page. Some lines print fine, others print only the top 10-20% of each letter/line. I have to generate documents in NWE (because Word won't run any faster than 1 mile per hour on my iMac), then cut and paste into Word to print . . . perfectly.

3. Incidentally, Word 2004 for Mac Version 11.3.5 waits seconds to display each letter typed. Is this the norm for Word on Intel iMacs?

TIA
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: Screen line spacing gaps, printing mangled, on iMac

Post by martin »

NoMoreWindows4Me wrote:1. When typing simple text, I can't control line spacing after a RETURN.
That spacing is the "after paragraph spacing". You can modify it via the Paragraph palette. If you really don't care for it you should modify your "New File" preferences so that all new documents have zero after paragraph spacing.
2. I can't print a useful page. Some lines print fine, others print only the top 10-20% of each letter/line. I have to generate documents in NWE (because Word won't run any faster than 1 mile per hour on my iMac), then cut and paste into Word to print . . . perfectly.
This sounds very odd. Does it happen when you print to PDF? Can you send such PDF to our support staff to look at?
3. Incidentally, Word 2004 for Mac Version 11.3.5 waits seconds to display each letter typed. Is this the norm for Word on Intel iMacs?
This doesn't sound normal to me.
r-sparks

Post by r-sparks »

The weird printing might be a printer driver issue. Have you installed the latest drivers from HP, or are you relying on those built into OS X?
dshan

Post by dshan »

The Word issue might be insufficient RAM to run Rosetta properly (MS Office is not a native Intel app yet), do you have any other apps running while using Word? NWX, Excel, web browser, email, etc.? Try running just Word and see if it runs better then, if so add more RAM so both Rosetta and other apps can work together (or don't run Word with other apps). Check memory usage with Activity Monitor when Word is running slow. 1GB is generally considered to be the minimum RAM to run old PPC apps on Intel Macs, they run much faster with 2 or 3GB RAM (Rosetta can cache more of the translated machine code that way).
NoMoreWindows4Me

Re: Screen line spacing gaps, printing mangled, on iMac

Post by NoMoreWindows4Me »

martin wrote:
NoMoreWindows4Me wrote:1. When typing simple text, I can't control line spacing after a RETURN.
That spacing is the "after paragraph spacing". You can modify it via the Paragraph palette. If you really don't care for it you should modify your "New File" preferences so that all new documents have zero after paragraph spacing.
2. I can't print a useful page. . . .
This sounds very odd. Does it happen when you print to PDF? Can you send such PDF to our support staff to look at?
This doesn't sound normal to me.
#s 1. and 2. are solved by modifying "after paragraph spacing", which I thought I had optimized. Apparently not.

#3 will be approached by doubling or tripling my RAM. My vendor said a gig was plenty, but apparently not. Tip: the "ValueRAM" for sale at local supply stores for $50 a gig isn't good enough even though it has the right specs; apparently Intel iMacs want the good stuuf, the "Branded" version with the same specs. Fortunately, it doesn't cost more, it's just "better" (?).

Thanks for the help. Problems solved. Now . . . where's that native Word Microsoft's been promising us?