3.0 Feature Request List

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
cchapin

Post by cchapin »

jeffisme wrote:i'd love, for example, to be able to creat a macro, that would allow me to add ellipses with one key stroke.
Try option-semicolon. It's built into the OS. Check the Keyboard Viewer for other such shortcuts.

--Craig
jeffisme

Post by jeffisme »

thanks, craig. I did. oddly, due to some glitch, it wasn't working yesterday. now it does.
Craig Turner

Ideas for Version 3

Post by Craig Turner »

I would like to second upping the macro capability to replicate even more of what Classic did: format find and replace, etc., and especially pre-packaged macros for those of us not wanting to learn Perl.

Also continue to develop a robust relationship between Express and Bookends bibliographic software. If you could create a special dialogue--something like what Mellel did, but better : ) --where many of the note creation/assigning/finding/formatting features are accessed, I think that would be very useful. Two really cool Mac Apps that integrate well without sacrificing their individual strengths internally.
midwinter

Re: Ideas for Version 3

Post by midwinter »

Craig Turner wrote:I would like to second upping the macro capability to replicate even more of what Classic did: format find and replace, etc., and especially pre-packaged macros for those of us not wanting to learn Perl.

Also continue to develop a robust relationship between Express and Bookends bibliographic software. If you could create a special dialogue--something like what Mellel did, but better : ) --where many of the note creation/assigning/finding/formatting features are accessed, I think that would be very useful. Two really cool Mac Apps that integrate well without sacrificing their individual strengths internally.
Yes on both counts. Hell, a Nisus Macro Depot would rock.
midwinter

Post by midwinter »

I should add: table cell spacing.
JBL

Post by JBL »

jeffisme wrote: 1) it would be great to be able to open a document where I left off (Maybe nisus can do this already?)
This seems to me like it should be a 2.5.1 feature. :D
midwinter

Post by midwinter »

JBL wrote:
This seems to me like it should be a 2.5.1 feature. :D
Hey, start your own 2.5.1 feature request thread! ;)

I should admit that as I read 2.5.1 in your post, I thought to myself, "No, that's more of a Nisus Writer Express 2.6 feature. Codename: Ocelot."

Or something.
Jzents

Post by Jzents »

I write academically and the thing I need most of all is more control over footnote reference styles. I need to be able to easily have suprscripted numbers in the text and non-superscripted numbers in the note itself.
Jeffrey Zents
jzents@mac.com
yaya

new features requests

Post by yaya »

Yes, yes, yes on the notes/comments function! I have not been able to figure out a simple way to add a layer of text that can be hidden and then revealed (for notes to self on evolving drafts).

Also, I most often use "capitalize" (under edit -> convert) for titles of publications, so I wish the macro would skip over words that should not be capitalized in titles. Non-contiguous text selection does help, but it would be great to have Nisus identify the articles and prepositions for me and leave them lower case.

Great work on improving speed etc. I look forward to future improvements and additions.
jeffisme

Post by jeffisme »

another feature I think I would end up using a lot is the ability to add a sticky note to a document
SteveOkino

Tables

Post by SteveOkino »

I'd love to have the ability to specify a fixed height and width of table cells, so I could print Avery labels...
Jzents

Post by Jzents »

There needs to be more flexibility in the way styles and outline levels are related. Currently there is not way to associate a specific style with a specific outline level except by creating the style and associating it with an outline level. Then the only way to write your outline is by switching styles. You should be able to associate a style with an outline level such that switching outline levels—such as using the indent/outdent buttons—would also switch the styles as well. This is common on other Word Processors and for me since I write lots of outlines is missed in the otherwise fine 2.5 version.
Jeffrey Zents
jzents@mac.com
midwinter

Post by midwinter »

Is it my imagination, or am I not able to tell NWE to change the page numbering? That is, can I not tell NWE "begin numbering at..."?

If not, consider this an official request.
Jzents

Post by Jzents »

I could not figure it out either, and I could not figure out how to make it skip the first page either. Both are on my request list!
Jeffrey Zents
jzents@mac.com
midwinter

Post by midwinter »

Indeed. That's a pretty crucial feature—especially for academic writers whose MS are sometimes required to omit a number on the first page. Not being able to dictate page numbering also makes it effectively impossible to break a larger document into a series of smaller ones and not have to combine them for printing.

This is small, guys, but it has pretty serious implications for usability.