improper line-wrapping

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
foobar

improper line-wrapping

Post by foobar »

As I'm assessing Nisus Express's usability for the kind of academic work that I do, I've come across a small problem with its line-wrapping. As required by (some) standards of quotation, my documents frequently mark changes within quotation marks, even single-letter changes, using square brackets []. The trouble is that Nisus treats these as word boundaries for the purposes of line wrapping, even when they occur within words. So a word like "[f]inance" at the end of a line gets wrapped across the line break as "[f] / inance". This is unacceptable. Can I fix it somehow in Nisus' settings, or is this a bug?
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

This is a known bug. You'll see that TextEdit has the same problem (we've inherited it from Apple). We're looking into correcting it.
foobar

Post by foobar »

Interesting. I've confirmed that Pages and TextEdit both have this bug, while Mariner Write and Microsoft Word behave correctly. It looks like relying on Apple's text-processing frameworks is sometimes a bad idea.
midwinter

Re: improper line-wrapping

Post by midwinter »

foobar wrote: So a word like "[f]inance" at the end of a line gets wrapped across the line break as "[f] / inance". This is unacceptable. Can I fix it somehow in Nisus' settings, or is this a bug?
Heh. I'd like to see a preference for "Break words in random, weird, or just plain wrong places." It'd be like the hidden prefs in MacJournal.