Different margin on first page

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
Agnostus

Different margin on first page

Post by Agnostus »

I am preparing a manuscript for a journal and struggling with their author instructions. I am supposed to leave a 7.5 cm top margin on the first page, but only 2.5 on all subsequent. Is there any way to do this in NisusWriter Express? Seems like I only can adjust global values, i.e. if I set the margin on the fisrt page to 7.5 all others have that margin, setting page two back to 2.5 brings also page one back to 2.5. I've tried to designate the first page of the section as different in the sections palette, but that did not help (seems to merely allow different text for headers and footers, but not different margins).

I am using NWE 2.7 beta 7

Well, of course, one could just add a couple of new lines on the first page to leave the 7.5 cm, but that isn't the most elegant solution.
DavidK

Post by DavidK »

After the first page of the document, insert a section break beginning on the next page. You can then adjust the margins on the first page/first section, and it will not affect the margins on the subsequent pages/sections.
cchapin

Post by cchapin »

Another way is to set the document up with a different first-page header. (Check "Different First Page" under Header and Footer in the Sections palette.) Then add returns to the end of the first-page header enlarge it.

The advantage here is that you don't have to put a forced break in your document. The disadvantage is that you can't be as precise about measurements.

--Craig
Agnostus

Post by Agnostus »

Thanks for the help.

But still, I would like to address a request to Nisus to implement the possibility for special margin settings for first (or last) pages in one of the next versions.