Endnotes as 2-column while still automatic?

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
stevenrowat

Endnotes as 2-column while still automatic?

Post by stevenrowat »

Hi,
It appears that Endnotes are either single-column or paragraph form; no option for varying column numbers.

If this is true, I feel this is not sufficient. At least half, if not more, of scientific publications use 2 columns in the references (even if there is only one in the main body of the paper). This saves space because so many references are short, while retaining the readability afforded by having each number-note on a single line. I request this be added.

If there was a simple way to change to fixed content at the very end, when the paper is done, it wouldn't be so bad; but on reading about your macro for searching and changing the reference numbers, I'm leery of attempting that; certainly not more than once. And if there are any changes in the references that require re-editing after that has been done, then all the numbers would have to be changed in both the document and the Endnotes. This would be hell.

So I repeat my request: 2 or 3 column ought to be available, while still automatic. If they are and I've missed it, I promise to dance a little jig. :-)

Steven Rowat
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: Endnotes as 2-column while still automatic?

Post by martin »

I'm afraid there will be no jig just yet :P

Currently with footnotes NWP mirrors the setting for the section (eg: a two-column section will produce footnotes in two-columns), but that doesn't appear to be the case with endnotes, which is a little surprising. Ideally the number of columns in either the footnotes or endnotes area should be independent of the document section. I'll make sure we have this filed as an enhancement- thanks!
stevenrowat

Post by stevenrowat »

martin wrote: Ideally the number of columns in either the footnotes or endnotes area should be independent of the document section. I'll make sure we have this filed as an enhancement- thanks!
Thanks. If you have any other workaround suggestions I'll try them. In my current project I need either two or three columns of small, closely spaced endnotes, which could probably all be put onto a single (hard-copy) page. So far all I can get out of Nisus is single-column and it extends over several pages. These endnotes will allow me to set them to a style, but they won't give me columns. Alas.
Hamid

Post by Hamid »

Have your tried getting more than one endnote per line?
You can get multiple short notes on the same line by unchecking the 'One Note Per Line' box in Style Sheet:
Multiple Endnotes per line.gif
Multiple Endnotes per line.gif (14.53 KiB) Viewed 10136 times
stevenrowat

Post by stevenrowat »

Hamid wrote:Have your tried getting more than one endnote per line?
You can get multiple short notes on the same line by unchecking the 'One Note Per Line' box in Style Sheet:
Multiple Endnotes per line.gif
Hamid thanks for the reminder; it may work as a cludge workaround. I had tried that long ago and I needed columns so I thought it wasn't useful, but I just tried again and realized I could put tab stops and with a little judicious careful work on certain lines I could get columns.

They read across instead of down, which is not ideal, but it may be better than a single column over 3 pages. They will also need to be reformatted whenever I need the references re-numbered, so it will only be useful at the end when all else is done; but they may at least allow continuing to use .rtf instead of needing to make the final in PDF and swapping pages.

Being able to choose 2 or 3 ordinary columns would still be much better. :-) .

Steven
NisusUser

Post by NisusUser »

martin wrote: Ideally the number of columns in either the footnotes or endnotes area should be independent of the document section. I'll make sure we have this filed as an enhancement- thanks!
+1. Any idea if this is just filed as a possible enhancement, or if we could expect it soon?
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

NisusUser wrote:+1. Any idea if this is just filed as a possible enhancement, or if we could expect it soon?
Consider your vote counted, thank you.
And we generally don't comment on when specific features and enhancements might be added until such time that we're ready to announce them, sorry.