Footnote Style not working correctly

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
loorung

Footnote Style not working correctly

Post by loorung »

I've saved a 29 page .docx document in Word as .rtf then opened that .rtf file in Nisus Pro. I'm currently tidying it up by applying styles to various paragraphs. In the case of footnotes I'm having a problem.

I've edited the footnotes style and this has been applied accurately to all the footnotes with the exception of the note in note reference.

I want the reference to look like:

1. Tony Claydon, William III and the Godly Revolution, New Ed (Cambridge University Press, 2004).

So I've edited the stylesheet view and changed Default Note Text to:

. (i.e. dot with two spaces). Which should give me: 1. Tony Claydon

However, on my footnotes I get

1 Tony Claydon, William III and the Godly Revolution, New Ed (Cambridge University Press, 2004).

i.e. no dot and only one space.

All the other feature I change within stylesheet view are reflected in the document. And when I open a normal empty Nisus file and add footnotes, my footnotes format perfectly.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: Footnote Style not working correctly

Post by martin »

This is actually the intended behavior: the "default note text" only applies to newly inserted notes, not existing/imported notes. This has confused a number of users, so it's something we should re-evaluate.

In the meantime, see this thread which offers up a few macros that will clean up your notes in no time. Please let us know if you have any questions.
loorung

Post by loorung »

Thank you for the reply. The macro worked. However, there is a problem with some of the footnotes, which is not due to the macro, as the same thing happens when I hand edit the footnotes.

I want either one or two spaces to appear after the . delimiter. One or two spaces do appear but they are significantly bigger spaces than than the majority of the footnotes, such that the space between the . delimiter and the first word is large and different to the other footnotes.

Also, is there a way to put the footnotes style in to the style palette of the tool drawer. Just as I can highlight a piece of text and it turn it in to a heading with the correct style in one click, I'd like to do the same with footnotes. There is a feature like this in Word and it's quite useful.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

loorung wrote:I want either one or two spaces to appear after the . delimiter. One or two spaces do appear but they are significantly bigger spaces than than the majority of the footnotes, such that the space between the . delimiter and the first word is large and different to the other footnotes.
It sounds like your footnote text has manually applied formatting (ie: non-style formatting) that's increasing the size of those spaces after the period delimiter. Either that, or you have manually applied formatting that's decreasing the size of the following footnote text. Either way, the solution would be to harmonize your footnotes so the formatting is uniform and comes entirely from the style definition.
Also, is there a way to put the footnotes style in to the style palette of the tool drawer. Just as I can highlight a piece of text and it turn it in to a heading with the correct style in one click, I'd like to do the same with footnotes.
This is not necessary because your notes always have the relevant Note style applied. NWP always automatically applies a note style. There is never any need to manually apply a Note style (unless you are converting endnotes to footnotes, or vice versa).

So, back to the font size problem: your note style is probably enforcing a font size that differs from the font size applied manually (ie: non-style formatting) to most of your note text. Here's what I would do:

1. Place the selection into any footnote.
2. Use the "Select All" command twice: the first selects the entire note, the second selects all such notes.
3. Use the menu Format > Size > Remove Font Size Attribute.

Now all your notes will use just the font size enforced by your note style.

I hope that's clear. Please let us know if you have any questions. If so, it might be helpful to see an example document/snippet that shows the font size irregularities.
loorung

Post by loorung »

Thank for for your help. Your suggestion worked, though I add to take one additional step: take of justified for that particular footnote (the rest weren't justified), as justified made the spacing (obviously) larger.

I've attached the offended page, now it's been cleaned up. There is one final problem which affects the same footnote.

If you look at fn 3. there is a wider space between the line beginning Newtonians, and the line above it. I cannot see any spacing setting which would make this happen.
Attachments
4. Pincus, 1688.rtf
(24.29 KiB) Downloaded 346 times
loorung

Post by loorung »

Sorry ignore the attachment. It's been set in Minion Pro and might not show on everyone's computer. Here is the same file in Times.

And the line is in fn 3. beginning 'Margaret C. Jacob'.
Attachments
4. Pincus, 1688.rtf
(24.17 KiB) Downloaded 328 times
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

This took a little fishing around, but the problem is the space at the end of that line, just after the years "1689-1720". It has the character style "Emphasis A" applied, enforcing Lucida Grande 12pt, which is taller than the adjacent Times 11pt.
loorung

Post by loorung »

Thank you. Deleted that character style and all is good. Seems like a lot of styles got bought over in the conversation process.