Painfully slow scrolling

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
dennisg

Painfully slow scrolling

Post by dennisg »

I just copied all the text from a 70-page NWE 1.1.2 document into a new 2.0 template, applied styles, and found that the scrolling -- whether I use the mouse wheel or the scroll bar -- is numbingly slow. Anyone else notice this?
- Dennis

"Is that your little friend in the wood chipper?"
cj

Post by cj »

I can't really say that I have. I am paging around in a sixty page document, though it has fairly simple formatting, but I am using an iBook G3 900MHz right now. I use the fn + pg up and pg dn to travel from page to page, no problem. If I am moving more than a few pages, I slide the scroll bar using the mouse. I do not scroll clicking the arrows in any program in OS X, as it's universally abysmal (plus it's inefficient).
charles

Post by charles »

Nisus Writer Express does a lot of work in the background on a document when you apply document-wide changes to text. Sometimes, this can temporarily slow down the user interface on some computers. The best way to make sure this is not happening is to save the file, then close the window and reopen it. This will force NWE to finish its background work.

Cheers,
-Charles
Charles Jolley
Nisus Software, Inc.
noteon

Post by noteon »

This thread is the closest I could find to describing a problem I've had for quite a long time.

I like to use the arrows in the scroll bar. In Nisus Writer Express 2.1.1, OS 10.2.8, the page will scroll one line of text, and then stop. It's not a *slow* scroll; it's a one-line scroll. Click again, and it scrolls one line again.

This is really annoying. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
cchapin

Post by cchapin »

I'm not experiencing this. I'm using NWE 2.1.1 under Panther (10.3.8). Could the problem be specific to Jaguar?

--Craig
Anne Cuneo

Scrolling

Post by Anne Cuneo »

In this respect I am just wondering:
- Nisus Express is based on TextEdit;
- Text Edit is updated with each new OS Update
- Can it be that Nisus works as perfectly as it can only with the version that was newest when it was updated.

Charles, Mark and Dave know how much I have complained - I must have irritated them to death, because as for Madze, all I wish for Christmas (possibly 2005) is a Nisus Express working as did 6.5, and I have said it again and again.
BUT (Charles, Mark and Dave, this flower is for you)
I have just written a whole novel, albeit a short one (40'000 words or so) in one single file, with Nisus and OS 10.3.7 and then 10.3.8, and Nisus stayed agile to the last day (which was today, that's why I have time to read and write on this forum...).
The only irritating thing which remains, for me, is the indent that does not work automatically. Once I got used to it, the rest was a cinch.
Anne
charles

Post by charles »

Hi:

The scrolling problem you describe is an issue with Nisus running on Jaguar only. We are aware of the problem but we have not been able to find a fix for it yet.

Anne: I'm glad to hear Nisus stayed agile for you! I believe we have actually optimized Nisus Writer using one of your novel files specifically.
Charles Jolley
Nisus Software, Inc.
noteon

Post by noteon »

charles wrote:The scrolling problem you describe is an issue with Nisus running on Jaguar only. We are aware of the problem but we have not been able to find a fix for it yet.
It went away by itself.

I can't keep the OS code names straight. Jaguar, Panther, Tiger. They're going to run out of the really cool cats soon. OS 10.6 will probably be Ocelot.
Anne Cuneo

Scrolling

Post by Anne Cuneo »

From Charles
Anne: I'm glad to hear Nisus stayed agile for you! I believe we have actually optimized Nisus Writer using one of your novel files specifically.
Wow! If everything else fails, if I dont even go down in the history of literature as a footnote, if... if... if... I'll at least have contributed to the progress of my favourite word processor. Perhaps I'll go down in the history of word processors. :P
Anne