Repeated NWP3.0.1 crashes with High Sierra

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
jhecht

Repeated NWP3.0.1 crashes with High Sierra

Post by jhecht »

I have had three mysterious crashes of NWP3.0.1 in the last two days after having updated my 2010 MacMini to High Sierra 2 or 3 weeks ago, then running the latest updates a day or two ago. They seem to come when I lightly touch something on the lower row or two of the keyboard and are extremely fast; one second I'm typing, the next NWP is gone! This is something I have never seen before. I just copied the crash report to Apple and can send it as an attachment if you want. There's clearly something wrong here and I suspect it came either from High Sierra or the latest Apple update. It's seriously disruptive; it happened twice when I was taking notes during an interview. I haven't seen this with any other applications. This machine can't be upgraded to Mohave.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: Repeated NWP3.0.1 crashes with High Sierra

Post by martin »

I'm sorry you've encountered crashes with Nisus Writer and High Sierra. Please send us the crash logs when you can, either via the menu Help > Send Feedback or email:

I have no idea what Apple does with crash reports they receive, but they don't share them with us. So any time there's a crash (or other issue) please do contact us directly. Thanks!
jhecht

Post by jhecht »

I sent in the crashlogs. No more trouble yet.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Thank you for sending in your crash logs. We appreciate your efforts in collecting them.

I replied to you privately via email, but the quick answer is that your crashes were caused by problems with system (macOS) spellchecking. So it's certainly possible your system update to High Sierra was a factor in triggering these issues.
jhecht

Post by jhecht »

Circling back on this, I can report that I have not had any more inexplicable crashes in over a month, even when typing furiously on NWP3.0.1. Perhaps I somehow reset some crucial preference or there is some other factor involved that I did not happen to trigger.

However, on Friday I did get an odd error message when taking notes during an interview -- Autosave would not work and I was told that I did not have the proper privileges to autosave in the place where I had been doing so every minute or so. I had a moment of horror, thinking of the dread Word 97 Save As bug which acted similarly, but I was able to get around this problem by a SaveAs with a new name. That's something I never recall seeing on OSX before. I was typing fast at the time, so it's possible that something in the system can get confused by very fast typing.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

I'm very happy to hear your moment of dread passed after some quick thinking on your part! The issue you encountered was almost certainly a problem with macOS sandboxing, and not traditional file permissions as erroneously implied by the system alert.

Nisus Writer relies on the system to provide access to your data on disk, for all file operations like autosaving. This is designed to protect Mac users, so apps don't access data to which they're not entitled. Unfortunately if something goes wrong an app can unexpectedly be denied access to a file. I think that's what happened to you. What went wrong is impossible to say, but I'd guess it was a temporary isolated issue in the system and won't reoccur.

If you do continue to have trouble with file permissions please let us know. We could investigate, though honestly we're not in the best position to do anything about it. By design Apple locks down the sandbox so apps (and developers) don't have any control. Usually the best we can suggest is to delete Nisus Writer's sandbox so the system creates a new one.