A quicker way to delete Untitled files?

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
JapanRich

A quicker way to delete Untitled files?

Post by JapanRich »

When I generate an Untitled file that I don't want to save, after clicking on the red dot, I have to wait for the dialog box to appear and expand, then carefully position my mouse over the Delete button and click. That takes extra seconds of my life, and I do this with a LOT of Untitled files. Is there a quicker way? Didn't there use to be a way to type 'd' to highlight the Delete button?

JapanRich
adryan

Re: A quicker way to delete Untitled files?

Post by adryan »

G’day, JapanRich et al

Cmd-D used to be interpreted as “Don’t Save” in most applications, but things seem to have changed (unfortunately). Cmd-D in NWP now takes you to the Desktop, although it would perhaps be more logical to use Shift-Cmd-D for this, in line with the Finder.

You can navigate the Close dialog box with the tab key, but that’s laborious for the current purpose.

I use Cmd-W-delete, where I hold the Cmd key down the whole time but pause slightly before hitting the delete key. If you hit the delete key too soon, the Close dialog box is not ready to receive input and you get an error beep.

Cheers,
Adrian
MacBook Pro (M1 Pro, 2021)
macOS Ventura
Nisus Writer user since 1996
Bob Stern

Post by Bob Stern »

adryan wrote: 2019-03-05 15:39:04 I use Cmd-W-delete, where I hold the Cmd key down the whole time but pause slightly before hitting the delete key. If you hit the delete key too soon, the Close dialog box is not ready to receive input and you get an error beep.
Thanks! So the old cmd-D shortcut for the Save dialog's Delete button now is cmd-DeleteKey. Like JapanRich, I never figured that out!

FYI, this appears to be a function of the MacOS Save dialog, not Nisus, because I don’t have cmd-D assigned to any shortcut in NWP. (I use shift-cmd-D for the Document Manager.)
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

That's exactly right, these keyboard shortcuts are all standard across any apps (including Nisus Writer) that use the default system file dialogs. At some point Apple changed "Don't Save" from Command + D to the new Command + Delete. That makes good sense to me. It's not only more logical but also unlikely to suffer from being accidentally triggered. It does of course have one drawback: you probably need two hands on the keyboard to activate Command + Delete.

One other tip for getting rid of Untitled files: if there's no content in an Untitled file then Nisus Writer will discard it without interruption. This is useful if you create a blank document and just do a few things. Instead of closing the document window and choosing "Don't Save", just select and delete all the text before closing the window. That way you'll avoid the intermediate Apple save dialog, which feels like it's gotten slower and slower over the years. On older computers the save dialog feels like it takes ages to slide down.
JapanRich

Post by JapanRich »

Thank you Adrian and Martin!
Now I get it...with Apple's switch to Cmd-delete from Cmd-D.
And it's a great tip to delete all content then close the window. I can create a Keyboard Maestro macro to do that for quick closing of unneeded files!

JapanRich