How to make crossreferences update

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
MalcolmRoss

How to make crossreferences update

Post by MalcolmRoss »

I am writing a longish document in v3.0.1. It includes numbered examples at various points in the text, which form a list. Quite often I need to refer back to an example ('as in example 21'). These crossreferences use the Nisus crossreferencing machinery, which mostly works fine. Sometimes I insert a new example somewhere between two older ones, and the older examples that follow the new one update their sequential numbering as expected. But crossreferences to the updated numbers don't update. I don't remember this being a problem in earlier work with Nisus Writer. How does one force the crossreferences to update?
Þorvarður

Re: How to make crossreferences update

Post by Þorvarður »

Tools –> Automatic Content –> Update All Stale Content
See also:
Tools –> Automatic Content –> Automatic Content Update Preferences…
MalcolmRoss

Post by MalcolmRoss »

Many thanks, Þorvarður.

I had searched the manual, but obviously didn't use the appropriate keywords. Now I see it is there.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

You can also find a command to force an update on the contextual menu, if you select and right-click a stale cross-reference.

However, rest assured that these manual updates aren't necessary unless you really want to see the updated values. If you make a printout or PDF then Nisus Writer will always ensure that your automatic content has been updated before final output.