Diacritics in Greek

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
paieye

Diacritics in Greek

Post by paieye »

I cannot find in NWP how to insert diacritics in Greek -- can anyone help ?
phspaelti

Re: Diacritics in Greek

Post by phspaelti »

You can do it through two different approaches:

1. Via the keyboard
This is the same method that you can use anywhere on the mac. Switch to a keyboard that is dedicated for the task, either one provided by Apple, or one made yourself with a program like Ukelele . This would be the preferred method, if you need to do this a lot

2. Via a palette
You can use either Apple's "Emoji and Symbols" :P or a palette in Nisus' Insert > Special Characters sub-menu. Note that in the latter case you will have to customize the palette yourself first. The standard Greek palette that comes with NWP only has the letters. This method will probably be the preferred one, if you only need this occasionally.

Oh, yeah and you can also get them via Edit > Transform Text > Convert Character Codes > From Unicode Code Points, provided you know the Unicode Code Points
philip
paieye

Post by paieye »

All well, I have found it -- by accident, of course ! Shift-Option-a for the stressed alpha, then Shift-Optiion-1,2,3,&c. for the others.
paieye

Post by paieye »

Oh, dear, I was a little hasty. The accented Ypsilon is Shift-Option-0, and the accented Omega is Shift-Option-. Is there any possibility of tidying this up, or is the Greek keyboard in fact outside the control of NW ?
adryan

Post by adryan »

G'day, paieye et al

First up, I don't know much about Greek typography.

Next, the keyboard shortcuts you quote do not give me the same results using the System's Greek keyboard, so you may be using something else.

However, the System also offers a Greek — Polytonic keyboard which allows you to hit one key for a diacritic and then another key for the base character to produce the desired result. So this may be another option.

Cheers,
Adrian
MacBook Pro (M1 Pro, 2021)
macOS Ventura
Nisus Writer user since 1996
paieye

Post by paieye »

My thanks to you both.