Escape from Footnote change request

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
ProfT

Escape from Footnote change request

Post by ProfT »

Hi,

I love being able to hit escape and leave a footnote to return to the main text. What I don't love is that the footnote reference is selected. If I begin typing immediately, I delete the very footnote I just wrote! With this behavior I have to leave typing position to arrow right off of the note reference. I would much prefer it if hitting escape caused the cursor to be placed immediately to the right of the note reference so that I could immediately begin typing again.

It's a small change, but in my mind it would produce a much better workflow. I'm open to hearing how the current behavior might be better, but I'd love for this to be considered.

Thanks,
Mike
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: Escape from Footnote change request

Post by martin »

Thank you for the feedback and suggestion Mike. I expect that your idea would be an improvement. Although a user will still generally need to take extra actions after pressing Escape to get to the right typing spot, it's probably a better default that the next keystroke won't replace the entire footnote.

I'll file the change as a potential improvement, thanks!
ProfT

Post by ProfT »

Thank you, Martin!

Mike
Hamid

Post by Hamid »

Nisus Writer Pro version 3.1:
Changed: jumping to a note reference should place the insertion point after the reference, not select it entirely.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Thanks Hamid, good eye 👀 This behavior has been improved in Nisus Writer Pro version 3.1.