Import from Style Library... query

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
vwnisus

Import from Style Library... query

Post by vwnisus »

When I choose Import from Style Library...

and then choose 'Replace Existing'

any existing styles in the document are replaced (as expected and desired)

But the text does not change to reflect that the style has changed. For example if a document has a 'Normal' style in 10pt Arial and I use Import from Style Library... which contains a Normal style with 12pt Times Roman, after import the text remains in 10pt Arial.

I have to manually select the text and then apply the Normal style to reflect the new styling for Normal.

Is there way or a setting where styles on import change the text of a document to automatically reflect the imported version of the style?
phspaelti

Re: Import from Style Library... query

Post by phspaelti »

This is not what should happen. The "replace existing" should immediately change the font. It does for me.
That this is not happening would generally suggest to me that the font is applied, rather than enforced by style.

Does this keep happening if you switch back and forth between two stylesheets?
philip
vwnisus

Post by vwnisus »

Philip,

Your response gave me the clue to the issue - to use Remove Formatting Except Styles. Once done, and then style library imported then as you meant there is an immediate change in font etc.

Thank you or your help.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

I'm glad the solution was simple, and it was merely manually applied formatting getting in the way of styles. Manual formatting is simply any formatting that isn't enforced by styles, ie: when you select text in your document and use regular non-style formatting tools. That kind of formatting blocks (overrides) styles by design and is sometimes desirable. But Manual formatting is also sometimes introduced incorrectly by a poor file import/export conversion, or during copy-paste from unstyled source materials.