NWP 3 High CPU useage File Converter

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
Alan42

NWP 3 High CPU useage File Converter

Post by Alan42 »

Evening all,
I've just installed my Crucial SSD containing NWP into a newly acquired Mac Pro 5.1 with a quad core 2.66 processor and 48Gb RAM. Activity Monitor reports 53% CPU useage by Nisus File Converter, which Etrecheck highlights as a major fault. This happens even when NWP is not running.

I am having other issues with the computer, principally intermittent kernel panics on startup, which is why I ran the scan. Could it be a fault with my system, or does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks in anticipation.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: NWP 3 High CPU useage File Converter

Post by martin »

I'm sorry that the Nisus File Converter is using high CPU on your Mac. That's a bug in Nisus Writer that we're tracking down. We'll need to fix it for a software update. In the meantime you can simply "force quit" the converter. That's completely safe and Nisus Writer will restart it automatically if needed.

If you encounter this nuisance a lot, you can adjust your Nisus Writer "Advanced" preferences to prevent the converter from being started at launch. Nisus Writer will instead only start the converter on demand, eg: when you try to open a DOCX file.

Good luck solving your kernel panics! That's almost certainly unrelated to your troubles with Nisus Writer's converter.
tschoeber

Post by tschoeber »

I have been noticing a lot of program hangs when running NWP 3.2.1 on two different machines, so this thread caught my attention. I checked out the Activity Monitor app and found that NWP's File Converter was highlighted in red. It was taking about 99% of system resources! No wonder it's slow! I'm running 10.15.7 (Catalina) on a 2017 iMac with 32 GB Ram. Hope this helps.

Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-06-12 at 4.21.15 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-06-12 at 4.21.15 PM.png (64.2 KiB) Viewed 6853 times
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

We've made changes to try to prevent this issue from occurring in Nisus Writer Pro version 3.2.2. That software update is available everywhere: inside the app, the Mac App Store, and direct download.

If you continue to see high CPU usage after updating please let us know, ideally after capturing an Activity Monitor sample of the runaway File Converter process.