Continued footnotes

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
Vanceone

Continued footnotes

Post by Vanceone »

So I'm perhaps missing something. I work in a field with lengthy footnotes that very frequently span more than one page. Is there a way to have some sort of [continued...] symbol or other way of marking a footnote that easily lets the reader know that the note spills over onto the next page? I could do it manually but that requires a pass at the end of my workflow so as to not waste time if the layout reflows while I'm working, and I have lots of other things to do on the "end of workflow pass" that I would prefer not to add another.

So is there a way or am I out of luck?
Hamid

Re: Continued footnotes

Post by Hamid »

The only way this is marked in the current version of NWP is by the length of the Note Area Divider line which is longer (75% by default) for footnotes that spill over onto the next page.
Vanceone

Post by Vanceone »

I wondered if the divider line was it.

Related question: I frequently see court opinions where footnote 5, say, starts on the page. It's long. Has the [continued...] symbol at the bottom to show it's on the next page.

The page again has the footnote reference number 5, with [...continued] as the first line. In other words, there is two footnote 5 markers to show it's the same footnote.

I can manually put in the [continued....] symbol. But can you have two footnote 5 references?

I have to confess this is an esoteric request, and likely not enough to matter since I doubt I would use it much. But it's an intriguing thing, not sure if anything outside of LaTex could do it.
phspaelti

Post by phspaelti »

Vanceone wrote: 2021-06-11 18:23:35 I can manually put in the [continued....] symbol. But can you have two footnote 5 references?
You could use a cross-reference to the actual footnote reference.

When you first brought up this request I wondered if one could use a macro to insert (cont.). Unfortunately macros don't seem to have any access to the page layout information for footnotes. So that was a no-go.

I think the basic request for some kind of automatic (cont.) symbol for such footnotes would be a reasonable feature request. (Says the guy who doesn't use footnotes himself.)
philip
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

This is an interesting request, thank you for bringing it up. I think any continuation symbols or text would need to be fully customizable, both at the end of the page and start of the next page. I'll made a note that we should consider adding this feature to our note styles. Thanks!