Find footnote?

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
KimTwemlow

Find footnote?

Post by KimTwemlow »

Hi there,

Like a great many people here (I gather), I'm hoping to ditch Word in favour of NWP. I'm not happy with its inability to add comments but I was trying to work around the problem using footnotes. However, I can't seem to get the Find command to, well, find footnotes (i.e. find the next comment in a document).

I tried searching for AnyCharacter in the footnote reference style but that didn't work. Then I changed the footnote reference font to Courier and tried searching for AnyCharacter in that font. Still no joy. Then I tried searching for the number "1" in no particular formatting, hoping NWP would find my first footnote. Nope. Have I misunderstood how the Find dialog works? Or is it just not possible to search for footnotes? I do have the Attribute Sensitive box checked, BTW.

Hoping someone can help! Thank you.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Hi Kim,

Your trouble is rooted in the fact that NWP skips note references when doing a Find Next/Previous. That means it will not find the text "1" as part of a note reference, nor will an attribute sensitive search for the Footnote Reference style find any footnote.

Instead, here's a one-line macro that should do what you like:

Code: Select all

Select Next Note Reference
It will only work when your selection rests in the document itself, eg: it will not do anything if the selection is already inside a footnote area. I hope this is a solution for you- let me know if you have any trouble adding the macro as part of the Macros menu.
KimTwemlow

Post by KimTwemlow »

Sweet! Thanks Martin. I really must learn about macros ...

And in your capacity as Official Nisus Person, congratulations on the product - it's looking like a purchase. The more I play with it, the more I find that it does what you want it to do (once you've figured out how to ask it!), as opposed to it imposing its own ideas on you.

Not mentioning any names *cough Word cough*