hyperlinks don't work in PDFs created from NWP documents

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
Derick

hyperlinks don't work in PDFs created from NWP documents

Post by Derick »

If I insert a hyperlink, it works in the rtf but if I print to PDF or save as PDF the hyperlinks aren't active.

Printing as PDF from Safari creates active hyperlinks in the PDF....I'm not sure about other apps / where this functionality is enabled / disabled.

NeoOffice can open rtfs and export to PDFs with active hyperlinks so there's my workaround for the moment.
Hamid

Acrobat

Post by Hamid »

For me hyperlinks of PDFs created from NWP work if I open the PDF files in Acrobat, but not in any other app like Preview, PDFpen, PDFview...
nicka

Post by nicka »

The facility for developers to put hyperlinks in pdfs is provided in OS X 10.4 (Tiger) through a Cocoa framework called pdfkit. I don't think many have used it for that yet, though.
mrennie

Re: Acrobat

Post by mrennie »

Hamid wrote:For me hyperlinks of PDFs created from NWP work if I open the PDF files in Acrobat, but not in any other app like Preview, PDFpen, PDFview...
This is because Adobe Reader scans for possible hyperlinks in a document and displays them as clickable links. Other applications don't do this. In other words, the hyperlinks in PDF files generated through NWP are not embedded in the PDF file itself. Several pieces of software can generate PDF files with embedded hyperlinks; among those I use regularly are OmniGraffle, NoteBook, and Apple's very own Pages.
feat

Post by feat »

Is there a way to render a document as PDF so that it would show its bookmarked items in the bookmark drawer?

And how can you make each item in the table of contents point to its original position in the document?

In other words, how can you build a live table of contents for PDF use, either in the document proper, or as a hierarchical bookmark list?

Also, can we build a live index just the same?

I know how to use Acrobat to do all this, but it would be far more convenient if Nisus Writer could do it in a straightforward way...
quarkdoll

Post by quarkdoll »

(bump)
mrennie

Post by mrennie »

feat wrote:Is there a way to render a document as PDF so that it would show its bookmarked items in the bookmark drawer?
No, not in the current version. But who knows, it might get implemented at some point if there are enough feature requests for it (and if it is not too difficult and expensive to implement it).
And how can you make each item in the table of contents point to its original position in the document?
It depends. In the Nisus Writer Pro document, you can simply double-click the page number in the table of contents to be taken to the appropriate section of the document. However, you lose these hyperlinks when you save the document as PDF.
In other words, how can you build a live table of contents for PDF use, either in the document proper, or as a hierarchical bookmark list?

Also, can we build a live index just the same?
No, and no. :(
ptram

Post by ptram »

Just a line, to renew a request for saving hyperlinks and bookmarks in a PDF file. I'm forced to return to NeoOffice for a project, because I must generate a PDF file with a navigable TOC appearing in the drawer. I cna replace floating frames and borders with tables, but this one missing feature doestn't seem to find a viable alternative in NWP.

Paolo
MJ Valente

Post by MJ Valente »

I'd also welcome the feature Paolo mentions above. Some of my PDF files need to have hyperlinks and that's impossible to do in NWP.
feat

Post by feat »

Seconded.
marc

Re: hyperlinks don't work in PDFs created from NWP documents

Post by marc »

I'll chime in on this one -- the ability to export URLs to a PDF would be very useful to me (as it currently is when exporting from OmniGraffle for diagrams and wireframes.)
quarkdoll

Re: hyperlinks don't work in PDFs created from NWP documents

Post by quarkdoll »

Just to be complete (i bumped here as well), i'd also like to see this feature; it would let me use NWP in nearly all of the use cases for which i still rely upon FrameMaker.. Thanks