RTF code

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
Ninurta

RTF code

Post by Ninurta »

When opening a NWPro document with word (for mac or win) some codes appear, mainly in headings, i.e. all headings are repeated with codes put in {brackets}.

Another problem: the same appears by opening NWPro docs in Windows applications and German Umlaute are not converted properly. In my opinion it is not a problem of all the other programs (Textmaker, Nota Bene, Papyrus) but of NWPro!
nicka

Post by nicka »

See this thread.

Those are table of contents fields. From what Martin said in the other thread it seems that they are exported properly by NWP, but not displayed properly by Word.

I think this is not the fault of Nisus Writer. The problem is with Word, partly, but also, I suspect, with rtf as a file format. It's a vast and complicated format and no one application supports all the features and specifications.
greenmorpher

Post by greenmorpher »

Let's hope Nisus takes up your point, ninurta. I can see the argument Martin makes in respect of the ToC stuff, nicka, but at the very least, the umlaut should -- MUST -- be properly displayed ion translation from one document to another.

And while I can see Martin's argument about what Word does or does not do, I don't see that it does Nisus any good to just dismiss the problem as belonging to Word. Whether we like it or not, compatibility with Word -- the ability to interchange files -- is a very basic requirement for many WP users. Word is not about to change the way it does things -- Microsoft is in business to make truckloads of money and it does that by incompatible with others. If Nisus wants to make small even hand trolley loads of money, NWPro must be made compatible with Word and, incidentally, other RTF using/translating programs.

I would be interested to know -- and I have searched the manual and found nothing -- what the different "save as" formats actually mean. There are two RTFs -- what does the "older documents" one miss out on? Is the "Microsoft Word Format" actually different from the standard RTF and in what ways? And so on.

I also ask questions like: if the Apple RTF translator used by TextEdit comes up with some different results from the Nisus RTF translator, why can't we be offered the option of using the TextEditor translator?

We also need format options to be offered when we are opening documents. For example, if you open an HTML document in NWE/Pro, it will open with formatting -- someone who wants to do HTML coding, though, wants it to open as text. You can make this choice when opening the same file in TextEdit by selecting the text format. Using NWE/Pro, at present, you have to go into finder and change the file name suffix to get it to open as text.

Martin said elsewhere that he would look at this.

Cheers, Geoff

Geoffrey Heard, Business Writer & Publisher

"Type & Layout: Are you communicating or just making pretty shapes" -- Revealed! The secrets of how you can use type and layout to turbocharge your messages in print. See the book at http://www.worsleypress.com
Elbrecht

Post by Elbrecht »

I really don't know about MS formats - but Word seems to save as:

1) WIN Word 97 -> 2003 and MAC Word 98 -> 2004 as RTF
2) Win/Mac? Word 4 -> 6/95 as compatible RTF, i.e. an older RTF
3) WIN Word 2007 & Mac Word 2008 as DOCX, i.e. a still newer RTF

...as far as I know. I wonder how to open 2) - text only works for me.
RTF seems to be the only way to open these diverse DOC formats, and
makes for continuity, but there are different beasts to handle as well.

HE
MacBook Pro i5
SSD 840/850 Pro
High Sierra 10.13.6
Nisus Writer Pro 3.4