Multiple footnote streams?

Everything related to our flagship word processor.

Would you like to have the option of multiple footnote streams?

Yes
61%
No
6%
I have more important things to worry about!
33%

Total votes: 18

germandanny

Multiple footnote streams?

Post by germandanny »

Hello there,

I was wondering if anyone knew how to create multiple footnote streams in NWP. Does anyone know if this is possible? Say, for making a critical apparatus, or putting together a critical edition of a text?

If not, does anyone else wish it were possible? Maybe if enough people wanted this Nisus might add it in an update soon... maybe...
scottwhitlock

Post by scottwhitlock »

I'm not even sure what that is, really...
MacBook Pro 15
2.66 Ghz Core i7
8GB RAM
NWP 2.0.4
iPad 3
Hamid

Re: Multiple footnote streams?

Post by Hamid »

germandanny wrote:multiple footnote streams in NWP...
Multiple streams can't be done at least in the current version. I have voted 'yes'. However, it must be noted that a useful feature in NWP relevant to the issue is the ability to have more than one footnote on the same line. This allows variant readings of sevral notes to occupy one line which appears quite neat.
germandanny

Post by germandanny »

Hi Hamid, I believe you can do this already by editing the footnote entry on the style sheet. Just unclick the box that says "one note per line" and they will appear one after the other on the same line—paragraph style. I think that is what you were asking, anyway. I'm not sure we have the option to adjust the distance between entries, however. And yes, you are right when you say this (paragraph style notation) is an important feature. Mellel can do everything BUT paragraph footnotes, which is why I'm hoping NWP will come through for me. I need to actually start writing soon! Cheers.

And Scott, you don't have to know what they are to vote "yes" on the poll—I'm all for padding stats here! Just kidding... multiple streams of notes would be useful if a writer wished to keep different types of footnotes separate. Like, for instance, translation notes, grammatical notes, text-critical notes, variant readings, bibliographic citations, etc. It is also useful if you can signify these notes with different symbols or letters. Hope that helps.
Targuman

I vote yes

Post by Targuman »

Such an ability is needed for text critical work and this is why Mellel included it (they asked several of us who are scholars). It works this way, for example in the Aramaic Bible series (T&T Clark and Liturgical Press), where you have one set of notes, using letters to denote them, that comment upon the textual questions (e.g., different manuscripts say different things at this point) and another set using numbers to denote them, that comment upon the meaning or interpretation of the text.

Does that help those who are unclear of the concept? It is certainly a VERY specialized need and one that I don't think is met with germandanny's suggestion.
jb

Post by jb »

Six years ago some dreamed of more than one stream of footnotes/endnotes in Nisus.

Maybe now that Nisus is more 'mature' this could be dreamt of again?

PS:
Voting seems to be locked.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Voting seems to be locked.
This was actually some conflict between phpBB and our board's default template/style "Hestia Blue". We've fixed the problem, so voting should work now.

And as always, even if we haven't yet implemented a feature, it doesn't mean we aren't interested in doing so eventually, or hearing that our users still want such a thing.