Section Break's odd behavior

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
Groucho

Section Break's odd behavior

Post by Groucho »

I have wanted to post this since the times of beta 1 but it is continually dropping off my mind.

1) I open a document and insert a Section Break at the end of it. Then I open another file, select some text and drag it right after the section break. However accurate I am, the text drops right before the break, not after. Same if I drag a finder icon instead of a selection. This won’t come about when I insert an extra blank paragraph after the break or when I use copy and paste.

2) The Typeface drop-down in Character palette is too small. For example, when I look for a typeface like “Semibold Subhead” NWP trims off half of the name and only shows “Semibold S.” Why not to make it auto-expanding?

Note: the system Font Panel (Cmd-T) is a good makeshift but not as handy as NWP’s Character palette.

Greetings.
Groucho
greenmorpher

Re: Section Break's odd behavior

Post by greenmorpher »

Groucho wrote:I have wanted to post this since the times of beta 1 but it is continually dropping off my mind.

1) I open a document and insert a Section Break at the end of it. Then I open another file, select some text and drag it right after the section break. However accurate I am, the text drops right before the break, not after. Same if I drag a finder icon instead of a selection. This won’t come about when I insert an extra blank paragraph after the break or when I use copy and paste.
Great catch, Groucho. The problem occurs no matter what kind of section break you insert, and also with Page Break. As long as you type a character -- any character, it seems, visible or invisible -- after the break, you can then drag in and your dragged material will lot in after that character.
2) The Typeface drop-down in Character palette is too small. For example, when I look for a typeface like “Semibold Subhead” NWP trims off half of the name and only shows “Semibold S.” Why not to make it auto-expanding?

Note: the system Font Panel (Cmd-T) is a good makeshift but not as handy as NWP’s Character palette.
The workaround is to use the menu bar > format > font menu, of course.

But enlarging the spzve you speak of wouldn't bed that hard., If the Solanums could just change the title of that line from "Typeface" to "Face" that would allow a bigger space to fit longer type descriptions. It doesn't need to be called "Typeface", of course, because we know we are talking about type since we are in the type palette.

Cheers, Geoff

Geoffrey Heard, Business Writer & Publisher

"Type & Layout: Are you communicating or just making pretty shapes" -- Revealed! The secrets of how you can use type and layout to turbocharge your messages in print. See the book at http://www.worsleypress.com
Groucho

Re: Section Break's odd behavior

Post by Groucho »

As long as you type a character -- any character, it seems, visible or invisible -- after the break, you can then drag in and your dragged material will lot in after that character.
Thanks, Greeno.

I was aware of that, by the way. I use to insert a blank paragraph after the break, to be deleted afterward. I didn't know a single character might fit the bill as nicely.

As for a Character palette makeover, I'll let your idea bounce over to the Nisus folks.

Greetings
Groucho