1.01 Seems To Fix Crashing Problem

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
sgmiller

1.01 Seems To Fix Crashing Problem

Post by sgmiller »

Sometime ago, I started a thread on the crashing problem I had with NWP. As best as I could figure out, the problem was related to imported RTF documents with a large number of foot/endnotes. At the time, the suggestion was made that I might have had "haxies" that were responsible for the problem. I never took this seriously for many reasons, not the least of which was that I tried installing NWP on a "fresh" install of OSX using a drive cloned by SuperDuper. I had the same problems even with no "haxies." At least one other user confirmed similar problems with similar documents and he had no haxies installed.

Well, I am pleased to report that whatever changes were made in 1.01, they seem to have eliminated the crashes which were happening, on average, 2 or 3 times an hour (sometimes more). I was almost about to abandon NWP, but since the new version, I have not had a single crash and the serious bugs related to moving images also seem to have been fixed. I will monitor the situation to see if this stability persists and if it does, I will feel somewhat vindicated. I don't know what was changed, but whatever it was, it seems to have done the trick. Clearly, something was not right before.
sgmiller

Post by sgmiller »

To confirm, after two days of heavy use, not a single crash. I have not had a single hour go by without a crash with the previous version so this is outstanding!
sgmiller

Post by sgmiller »

Ok, after about 10 days of heavy use, not a single crash so I declare this problem resolved.

As pleased as I am, it would have been nice for Nisus to have acknowledged that there was a problem which they tried to blame on "Haxies" which reminds me a bit of the old days with a PC when developers tried to blame problems on the user by asking "what kind of PC are you using."

As I have said, clearly the problem was a bug which has been fixed in this new release. I am now finally recommending NWP to others as a stable platform.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

I understand your perspective, but hopefully you can also understand ours. Remotely diagnosing problems is always tricky, because we never know what the customer's configuration looks like exactly. Many times when a customer runs into trouble haxies are the cause, which is why we always ask about them.

Anyways, I'm glad to hear your troubles are over. And thank you for recommending our product- we do appreciate it!
sgmiller

Post by sgmiller »

I understand also and can appreciate the difficulty of dealing with so many configurations. However, as I said, I had installed NWP on a clean install and was having exactly the same problems. Oh well.

Another note, since I wrote last, I have encountered some problems although different from earlier and far less common. Several times when trying to add and endnote, the program has locked (spinning beach ball) needing a Force Close. Also, on one or two occasions, moving an image resulted in either the loss of the image or a lockup. Finally, I did notice some corruption in the footnotes, i.e. a footnotes that, although it had a note reference, had no actual footnote that could be seen.

As I said, these are things that have happened once or twice as opposed to 5 times an hour and are different from what occurred earlier.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Please, if you can, when you do hit one of these, send a feedback report to us after you restart NWP. Just use the menu Help > Send Feedback. Thanks.