A malfunction in Table row/column delete

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
greenmorpher

A malfunction in Table row/column delete

Post by greenmorpher »

Hiya Martin

Create a table, place the cursor in a cell, click on the "Delete row" tool.

The row is deleted, and the whole of the next row automatically selected.

Click on the "Delete column" tool.

THE WHOLE TABLE IS DELETED.

Works vice versa too.

Oh no!

If a row is selected, the "Delete Column" tool should be de-activated.

If a column is selected, the "Delete Row" tool should be de-activated.

Shouldn't it?

Cheers, Geoff

Geoffrey Heard, Business Writer & Publisher

"Type & Layout: Are you communicating or just making pretty shapes" -- Revealed! The secrets of how you can use type and layout to turbocharge your messages in print. See the book at http://www.worsleypress.com
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

The delete table row/column commands delete all selected rows/columns, so it is expected that if all rows/cols are selected, they will all be deleted. You could make an argument that a user would never want to do this (delete the whole table using these commands), but I think disabling them would be inconsistent.
Last edited by martin on 2007-10-08 13:31:47, edited 1 time in total.
ssampler

Post by ssampler »

I think that Geoff's problem would be solved if, after deleting a row or column, NWP did not select the next one. I don't see a good reason for the automatic selection, since to delete a row, it is only necessary to have the cursor in one of its cells.

-Steve
greenmorpher

Post by greenmorpher »

Martin, the problem is, *I* have NOT selected all the columns -- NWPro has selected a *row* ... which happens to cut across all the columns.

And when it deletes all the columns, it deletes the whole table. The tool is supposed to delete only selected columns. Logically, it should leave one empty column, not delete the whole table (well, that's my logic!).

And we are talking about little icons which can be hit by accident.

On reflection, I would suggest:

1) NWPro should not delete a row or column unless it is selected in toto. It should not be deleted as now on the basis that the cursor is in one cell.

2) When it has deleted a row or column, it should NOT select the whole next row or column. Why should it do that? Where does the assumption come from that I want to act on the whole next row or column? Maybe it should leave the cursor in the first cell of the next row or column.

3) When the contents of every cell in a row or column are selected and deleted with the backspace or delete key, this should delete the contents of the selected cells leaving an empty row or column. Selecting SOME cells and hitting delete removes the contents of those cells and leaves the cells intact; the logical extension of that is to leave an empty row or column when the contents of all cells are selected and deleted. Instead, selecting the contents of all cells in a row or column and hitting delete now deletes the row or column itself. This is not a logical extension of what occurs when just some cells are selected.

Cheers, Geoff

Geoffrey Heard, Business Writer & Publisher

"Type & Layout: Are you communicating or just making pretty shapes" -- Revealed! The secrets of how you can use type and layout to turbocharge your messages in print. See the book at http://www.worsleypress.com