Cross references / table of contents / lists not reliable

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
pds1602

Cross references / table of contents / lists not reliable

Post by pds1602 »

I have a long document, saved from word as a RTF, with many cross references. I've been going through them fixing up the references as I go.

Cross-referencing is not reliable. Firstly, I try and insert a reference to a table as a bookmark (previously added the table caption text as a bookmark). It beeps. By now I've done maybe a dozen of these and when it's beeped previously I delete the surrounding text (show invisibles shows nothing) and try again and it works. No chance this time.

OK, so I try and add the reference as a list item. Selecting list items in the dialog is blank. I close the dialog and open it again where it now shows the list items. So something is not right there.

OK, so I try and add the reference from the list item. It beeps. During this procedure NP runs the CPU at 100%.

Bottom line is that there is no way it's going to add this cross reference. I then delete all the text (maybe 60 pages) up to this point and try again. This time it works.

Also had another issue with table-of-contents. If I don't delete the table of contents, running over four pages, generated by word then the text is formatted incorrectly - it doesn't show the leader correctly - I select '.' it shows spaces. Delete it and try again and it works.

Lists just drive me up the wall. I try and create a list for figures and tables, like 'Table 1: caption text'. All works well until it hits number 10 which for some reason causes a great big space to appear between 'Table 10:' and the text in the caption. Appears to be no way to fix this gem. Playing around with the list box causes major stability issues in that it doesn't change the item and starts displaying bogus characters, like parts of characters. I have to quit and start again.

Seems the import from word is unreliable or the product itself is full of bugs or, most likely, both. Pity.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

You might indeed be encountering some bugs, but much of what you describe sounds very abnormal. Can you submit a feedback report with your document using the menu Help > Send Feedback?
I try and create a list for figures and tables, like 'Table 1: caption text'. All works well until it hits number 10 which for some reason causes a great big space to appear between 'Table 10:' and the text in the caption.
This is most likely because the width of the list text "Table 10" exceeds the location where the list style specifies the paragraph text (eg: your caption) should go. In this case an automatic tab stop is inserted so there is some division of text. To remedy this situation, just increase the "text" indent in the List style palette.