inlined graphics: animated gif

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
feat

inlined graphics: animated gif

Post by feat »

When using the rtf format, inserting images converts the graphic data for inline storage. However this scheme won't let you render an animated gif to html: it's converted to png format, given a meaningless name, and trimmed to its first frame — the rest is lost, since png files only support a single image per file.

The only way around this is to edit the html and insert all of the graphic files again. And forget about using the handles to adjust their size: this won't be reflected in the html code, and they'll always display full-scale...

Things get better when using rtfd though, provided the animated graphics you insert are already located inside the [hidden] directory, else they'll be converted to their own icon (in TIFF format).

Isn't this a bit more convoluted than necessary?
feat

Post by feat »

Contrastively, the animated gif are actually animated from within TextEdit: very handy to check you inserted the right file...

The same document opened with Apple's pages program won't show the animation proper but exporting to html will correctly link to the animated graphics.
cgc

Post by cgc »

You use NWE to create web pages or are you putting animated gifs in your thesis :)
feat

Post by feat »

Neither of these: I'm using NWP to prepare 5 online courses for learning to program (from scratch) in Python, Squeak, Lisp, Prolog and C: the animated gif files are supposed to show what happens when pushing objects on the stack, moving pointers, sending messages, handling queues, polling network sockets and the like... It all must be ready for November 16, and this is gradually becoming a big pita.

My thesis I submitted back in 1986.