"Fixed on page" option for figures

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
Maggie555

"Fixed on page" option for figures

Post by Maggie555 »

Here's another one:
I have several figures that fill the whole page, with just enough space at the bottom for a figure caption. I would like for the text to flow around the figure so I don't end up with half-empty pages before the page with the figure on it. So, I select the figure and check the "fixed on page" option. I want the figure to be at the top of the page to leave enough space at the bottom for the caption, but when I select the "align top" button in the Image Arrangement selection, the figure jumps all the way to the beginning of the document, instead of the top of the page. What's up with that?
Second problem with the "fixed on page" option is that I don't know how to "fix" the figure caption to the figure, so it doesn't flow with the text around the figure, but stays put. (My figure captions are a paragraph style with list style.) Any way to group the two? The "Keep with next paragraph" option doesn't seem to be working with the figure set on "fixed on page".
Any suggestions?
Thanks
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

I want the figure to be at the top of the page to leave enough space at the bottom for the caption, but when I select the "align top" button in the Image Arrangement selection, the figure jumps all the way to the beginning of the document, instead of the top of the page. What's up with that?
I'm not sure what is going on here, but if you sent us a document we might be able to help. One explanation: even if you set an image to be fixed on the page, the page it is fixed on is the one which contains the text you've anchored the image to (this anchor point is the original paragraph in which the image resided in). If this anchor point changes pages, so will the image.
Second problem with the "fixed on page" option is that I don't know how to "fix" the figure caption to the figure, so it doesn't flow with the text around the figure, but stays put
An image that is set to be "fixed on page" (or "moves with paragraph") can't have a caption in the way you would like, eg: there's no way to have a bit of text above/below the image that automatically floats with the image. At this point we don't have the capability for floating text of any kind.
Maggie555

Post by Maggie555 »

Thanks a lot. I think your first comment is to the point. I'll make sure the figure is anchored to a paragraph on the new page then.
I still might end up with the figures inline, though, if I can't keep the captions close otherwise.
Thanks again!