leopard and nwp lag time

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
Elbrecht

Post by Elbrecht »

Sorrily -

your MacBook Installer will not work for PPC G4 - it's for an Intel machine. But why not upgrade your MacBook instead, as I wrote before - I feel fine.

For your PPC G4 you need - to buy, ebay or else - a universal Tiger box. No wild cats to download for free at Apple site...

HE
MacBook Pro i5
SSD 840/850 Pro
High Sierra 10.13.6
Nisus Writer Pro 3.4
CrisB

Post by CrisB »

xiamenese wrote: (ii) if you are the sort of person who leaves your computer running for long periods with a text-processing app open, while you may be opening and closing individual files, you will be incrementally taking up more and more RAM leading to the use of virtual memory and a lot of swapping out to disk, even though the RAM is no longer being used for data you're working on.
But fundamentally, if you're on a G4 or G5, follow Greenmorpher's advice and stick to 10.4.x ... and save up your bawbies for your next computer!
Thanks for this valuable info!
I haven't yet noticed the memory problem and, for faster access, I do leave NWP 1.0.3 up permanently, with frequently used files left open. Perhaps because I did indeed buy bunches of RAM ages ago - my twin 867 G4 has 1.5 gigs. I leave Activity Monitor showing its floating CPU window permanently and, in 10.4, I have never seen any Page Out activity. Yet in 10.5, I am today seeing Page Swaps for the first time, even though there's still 400 megs of memory inactive...

I guess I'm hoping Nisus can come up with some sort of solution to the drastically increased CPU activity while text processing!

In 10.5.2, I'm also missing the Tiger-like access to a folder from within the dock, with aliases expanded in the transverse... Any ideas anyone?
Last edited by CrisB on 2008-03-14 00:07:46, edited 1 time in total.
Elbrecht

Post by Elbrecht »

Well said:

"The message is clear -- if you are still on a G4 or G5, don't go to Leopard. Stay with Tiger." Cheers, Geoff

...but - if working on an Intel machine, then everyone please upgrade to Leopard - if only for Time Machine. My first generation MacBook got a damn Seagate v. 7.01 hard disk - and it broke all of a sudden on Monday under my hands. The media gone - no chance whatsover. There was talking about the head crashing Seagate HDs in the net for months, and that's why I upgraded to Leopard in the end. That means for me: just get a new HD and run Recover from the Time Machine backup, while booting with Leopard Installer DVD. All else runs automatically. Spend a hour having some tea and then work on as before the breakdown - OK some last work missing, but imagine going through all this without Time Machine!

Lucky HE
MacBook Pro i5
SSD 840/850 Pro
High Sierra 10.13.6
Nisus Writer Pro 3.4
CrisB

Post by CrisB »

martin wrote: The location of the Application Support folder is defined by the system to be inside your home directory. I imagine you have plans to keep your home directory consistent between OS versions, and this should present no problems to NWP.
I'm actually wondering if all I need do is to alias the Nisus AS folder to the real one in my totally separate data partition. If I alias to the real one from both OS versions then, theoretically, nothing else would seem to be needed. Check?

Can anyone see any reason why I shouldn't do this for the Whole Application Support folder, instead of individually for each application? I'm concerned that it just seems to be too simple, too elegant a solution...
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

CrisB wrote:I'm actually wondering if all I need do is to alias the Nisus AS folder to the real one in my totally separate data partition. If I alias to the real one from both OS versions then, theoretically, nothing else would seem to be needed. Check?

Can anyone see any reason why I shouldn't do this for the Whole Application Support folder, instead of individually for each application? I'm concerned that it just seems to be too simple, too elegant a solution...
In my opinion aliasing the whole Application Support folder would definitely be the way to go. In fact, if I were you I'd see about changing the location of the entire Home folder in both OS versions to point to your separate data partition. I'm pretty sure such a thing is possible on OSX.
Sascha Erni

Re: leopard and nwp lag time

Post by Sascha Erni »

Hi there,

sorry for reviving an old thread, but is this still an issue with 10.5.3? I haven’t upgraded to Leopard yet (10.4.11 on a first-generation MacBook Pro), but as pretty much all I do on my Mac is writing, this would affect me strongly.

Cheers,
-Sascha
Elbrecht

Post by Elbrecht »

Well -

all intel machines are fine so far - I run first generation MacBook...

HE
MacBook Pro i5
SSD 840/850 Pro
High Sierra 10.13.6
Nisus Writer Pro 3.4
Sascha Erni

Post by Sascha Erni »

Thanks for the heads-up, Elbrecht!

Update, here I come … Well, perhaps in a couple of weeks … or months … Never Change a Running System and all that. :D

Cheers,
-Sascha
CrisB

Re:

Post by CrisB »

martin wrote: In my opinion aliasing the whole Application Support folder would definitely be the way to go. In fact, if I were you I'd see about changing the location of the entire Home folder in both OS versions to point to your separate data partition. I'm pretty sure such a thing is possible on OSX.
Aliasing the entire Home folder was feasible, and did sort of work. But.

I use a new slim-line keyboard, and also many of the traditional F-keys, so I need this set in System Preferences permanently, it didn't remember with a moved Home Folder. Ii also didn't remember some custom shortcuts. So, unless you are happy with the system totally unchanged, then I wouldn't recommend moving the Home folder!

I'm now back to using a standard Home folder.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Sascha Erni wrote:but is this still an issue with 10.5.3?
NWP 1.1 should have worked around the more serious Leopard text lag issues, regardless what version of 10.5.
greenjuice

Post by greenjuice »

martin wrote:
Sascha Erni wrote:but is this still an issue with 10.5.3?
NWP 1.1 should have worked around the more serious Leopard text lag issues, regardless what version of 10.5.
I can confirm that it works somewhat better now. NWP 1.1 does not slow down while typing but I avoid having many applications opened at the same time. I've iBook G4 12" with 1,25 GB RAM.

Greetings from Sweden,

greenjuice