Paragraph rules?

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
Phrasikleia

Paragraph rules?

Post by Phrasikleia »

Is there any way to add a rule (i.e. a horizontal line) below a paragraph?
Ruchama

Post by Ruchama »

It is not an ideal solution, but as a work-around you could define a one-line (empty) table and leave only its top or bottom border.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

I'm afraid that's the best you'll be able to do with the built-in tools. Another work around is to construct the horizontal line as a graphic in an external program and then insert it as an inline image.
Phrasikleia

Thanks

Post by Phrasikleia »

A surprising omission from the app's features. Thanks for the suggested workaround. I had actually tried to create a table with a single horizontal border and was unable to get it to work. I'll try again.

[edit: I finally figured out how the table border options work and achieved the desired effect. I'm so desperate to break free from MS Word that I'm not going to consider this missing feature a deal-breaker. My demo-ing continues. So far, I'm really very impressed with this smart little application.]
ptram

Post by ptram »

Martin, in case you plan to add a rule option to the paragraph format, please also consider a background pattern/color option. This, too, can be done by way of tables, but having it in a paragraph style would make life easier, and allow an easier exchange with Word.
Paolo
Fraser Muirhead

Post by Fraser Muirhead »

martin wrote:I'm afraid that's the best you'll be able to do with the built-in tools. Another work around is to construct the horizontal line as a graphic in an external program and then insert it as an inline image.
I tried this before I came to the forum and found out that I couldn't pick a top or bottom single line. So I made the text size as small as possible. This made a very, very narrow box resembling a double line rule.

Incidentally, where is the "help"? I installed the new version handed out at the Nisus booth and found "help" gone.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Fraser Muirhead wrote:I tried this before I came to the forum and found out that I couldn't pick a top or bottom single line.
You can indeed modify a single top/bottom edge of a table cell's border. In the Borders palette, under "edges to modify", you will want to select just the top or bottom edge. Toggle all the other edge buttons off by clicking them, or click the "none" button and then the single edge you want. After that, modify the edge style as you desire.
Incidentally, where is the "help"? I installed the new version handed out at the Nisus booth and found "help" gone.
This was an error on our part. The first archive we uploaded to our website was missing the help file. If you download the file again, all should be well. Sorry for the trouble.