Disappearing footnotes, surely a bug

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
Phrasikleia

Disappearing footnotes, surely a bug

Post by Phrasikleia »

This behavior of NWP must be some kind of bug.

If I click within a frame of footnotes, select all, and then choose the option to "Remove Attributes except Styles" from the Styles palette, then all of the footnotes instantly vanish. The only way to get them back seems to be to click on a line within the document that contains a footnote reference and to type at least one character there. Typing on any line that does not contain a footnote reference, even in a paragraph that does, will not bring the footnotes back.

It seems to me that removing attributes should not mean removing all the text along with them. No?
Phrasikleia

Results from further testing

Post by Phrasikleia »

I subsequently tried the same steps in a document that exceeds a single page. It would appear that NWP is zapping the footnote frame from the first page of the document after receiving the command to "Remove Attributes except Styles". If there is only one page in the document, then the footnotes disappear entirely. If there are multiple pages, they shift forward by one page. The only way that I can find to get the footnote frame to reappear on the first page is the solution I mentioned in my first post of this thread (i.e. type a character on a line that both contains a footnote reference and that appears on the first page).
Ruchama

Post by Ruchama »

yes. I have noticed this bug as well. The footnotes do not disappear but nwp does not know how to rearrange the page after any change of attributes to the notes' text. I simply saved, reopened the file and all was sorted. but it is tedious to do so whenever you need to change something.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

This is indeed a bug and should be fixed in our next update.