One document with two formats

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
BigT

One document with two formats

Post by BigT »

The problem: one single document with lots of updating going on and two different print formats that needs to be used to print different versions of the document, but all the same content.

I am writing a operation manual. It has 40 figures (jpg files) and 170 pages total. There is a table of contents, an index and as soon as I figure out how a table of figures. I need to print the manual in 8.5 X 11 format for a 3-ring binder and also 6.75 X 8.5 format for a small 3-ring binder.

I am currently printing the small version with regular paper in landscape with margins set to have it come out correctly. I have an HP 1320 printer that prints on both sides at the same time.

I would like to have only one text document that can be edited for both print formats. Is that possible.
greenmorpher

Post by greenmorpher »

Hello BigT

You say it is 1070 pages long. Doe that mean it is the same length in both page sizes?

If so, the solution is simple. Just set up the larger size, and print it at (say) 77% to get the smaller size book exactly the same, but smaller, than the larger book.

If this makes the type too small in the smaller one, give the type in the bigger one an extra point, so it is a little larger. That should make enough of a difference.

Cheers, Geoff

Geoffrey Heard, Business Writer & Publisher

"Type & Layout: Are you communicating or just making pretty shapes" -- Revealed! The secrets of how you can use type and layout to turbocharge your messages in print. See the book at http://www.worsleypress.com
BigT

Post by BigT »

Hi Geoff,

That is a good idea, I will give your idea a try. Seems like it should work. I will have to turn the small one to landscape, but that is a small thing rather than keep two copies up to date. By the way the page count is 170, and it is close to the same size for both manuals because we use a larger type face for the big manual.

BigT