Nisus Writer Pro 1.0.3

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Nisus Writer Pro 1.0.3

Post by martin »

Hi everyone, we have a free update for NWP that fixes a few bugs:

Fixed: some images were not sharp on screen or during printing.
Fixed: making changes to all footnotes could cause them to disappear.
Fixed: printing and Save to PDF should log less "invalid context" lines to the console.

The update is available for download now.
greenmorpher

Re: Nisus Writer Pro 1.0.3

Post by greenmorpher »

martin wrote:Fixed: printing and Save to PDF should log less "invalid context" lines to the console.
Gawd, Martin, I don't even know what this means! :o

Cheers, Geoff

Geoffrey Heard, Business Writer & Publisher

"Type & Layout: Are you communicating or just making pretty shapes" -- Revealed! The secrets of how you can use type and layout to turbocharge your messages in print. See the book at http://www.worsleypress.com
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Nothing exciting, I assure you Geoff! Just trying to prevent NWP from triggering the system to add to a log file.
GeoffRoynon

Post by GeoffRoynon »

Thanks for resolving this at last Martin. I have been using Pages exclusively for the past 3 months or so to avoid filling up the system log with messages.

Geoff
Geoff Roynon
Mac Studio, MacOS X 14.0 Sonoma
NW Pro 3.3
shades

Post by shades »

martin wrote: Fixed: making changes to all footnotes could cause them to disappear.
This one is certainly critical! :)
MBP 2.4 GHz, OS X 10.5.6
NWP 1.2, Mellel 2.6, iWork 08
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

shades wrote:
martin wrote: Fixed: making changes to all footnotes could cause them to disappear.
This one is certainly critical! :)
Absolutely- it was a new bug that only affected Leopard users I believe.
Ruchama

Post by Ruchama »

not really - I am a tiger user and had the same bug.

indeed- thanks for this one!
GeoffRoynon

Post by GeoffRoynon »

It appears that the "invalid context" problem is not totally fixed. When I first installed the new 1.0.3 update I printed out a document to check if this had been fixed and the document printed successfully with no messages in the System Log. However, today after updating the same document (making some text bold) and printing out the first page, the System Log is full of "invalid context" messages again. They are different from previous occurrences as there are two different types:

Jan 21 14:27:26 Fenris [0x0-0x173173].com.nisus.NisusWriter[26655]: Mon Jan 21 14:27:26 Fenris.lan Nisus Writer Pro[26655] <Error>: CGContextSetStrokeColorWithColor: invalid context

Jan 21 14:27:26 Fenris Nisus Writer Pro[26655]: CGContextShowGlyphsWithAdvances: invalid context

I will send feedback to Nisus attaching the document.
Geoff Roynon
NW Pro 3.3
Hamid

invalid context

Post by Hamid »

GeoffRoynon wrote:It appears that the "invalid context" problem is not totally fixed.
It has not been fixed; after installing 1.0.3, I printed a document and got 2900 lines on the log which I sent to Feedback.
GeoffRoynon

Post by GeoffRoynon »

I think I may have found a culprit for this problem. After installing the 1.0.3 update I printed out a page from the document I was working on at the time and it printed without any of the "invalid context" messages. Everything worked fine until today when I again printed the same document, after making some changes. This time the log filled up with messages but I also noticed that Adobe Acrobat hung (I am updating my Nisus document with bits out of a document I have open in Acrobat). I had to force-quit Acrobat but then was unable to get it to start normally again. It started but immediately displaced the wrist-watch icon and I had to force-quit again. I have tried re-installing Acrobat from the web but it still freezes so I have deleted it.
What is interesting is that when I print the same document I had problems with earlier today it prints with no messages in the log.
So this appears to be something related to Adobe Acrobat.

I will revert to using Preview until this whole printing thing is resolved.
Geoff Roynon
NW Pro 3.3
GeoffRoynon

Post by GeoffRoynon »

Forget my previous response - I tried uninstalling all the files to do with Acrobat Reader then restarted and tried printing through NWP 1.0.3 and thousands of lines of "invalid context" in the log.
I am now at a loss as to why sometimes it prints without spewing all over the log and then begins sending error messages out again on a later print.

Back to Pages for me!

:cry:
Geoff Roynon
NW Pro 3.3
GeoffRoynon

Post by GeoffRoynon »

More information about the printing problem. Today I decided to print out the document I had been working on as I needed to send it to someone so clicked the print button and let it do its thing. When I looked at the log, expecting there to be loads of messages, there were no messages!
So I tried printing a single page from the document and the log filled up with messages. It appears this problem is partially fixed - as long as I don't want to print out part of a document I won't have a problem.

Just out of interest, the log file was 36KB in size before I printed the single page and 302KB after printing the page, so the error messages take up 266KB!
Geoff Roynon
NW Pro 3.3
dshan

User Guide Missing?

Post by dshan »

I just noticed that the NWP User Guide no longer displays when you select Help>"Nisus Writer Pro Help" in 1.0.3. It now says "Help isn't available for Nisus Writer Pro".

As far as I know this only started happening with 1.0.3, earlier versions of NWP all launched preview with the User Guide PDF. Fortunately you can still download the NWP User Guide from the "Useful Links" section of the wesite, but it's sure to cause problems for new users who don't realise the manual is not included when they download the app.
greenmorpher

Post by greenmorpher »

Not here, dshan. Displays fine -- launching Preview for the task. OSX.4.11.

Cheers, Geoff

Geoffrey Heard, Business Writer & Publisher

"Type & Layout: Are you communicating or just making pretty shapes" -- Revealed! The secrets of how you can use type and layout to turbocharge your messages in print. See the book at http://www.worsleypress.com
Hamid

Re: User Guide Missing?

Post by Hamid »

dshan wrote:I just noticed that the NWP User Guide no longer displays when you select Help>"Nisus Writer Pro Help" in 1.0.3. It now says "Help isn't available for Nisus Writer Pro".
I believe they forgot to include Help files earlier. Help is included in the app currently available:
http://www.nisus.com/pro/