A problem with quotation marks

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
Rachmede

A problem with quotation marks

Post by Rachmede »

Hi everyone,

I have a little problem with quotation marks. I usually write in french and, by convention, we have to put a space between each quotation mark and the word beside of it. For exemple : «SPACEblablablaSPACE». (In french, quotation marks looks like this : « », instead of this '' '' ). This sometimes creates a problem when a quotation mark happens to be alone on the line : the opening mark at the end of a line while the quotation begins on the next line, or the closing mark at the beginning of a line when the quotation ends at the end of the previous line.

Is there are way to solve this problem and make sure no quotation marks are left alone ?

Thank you.
xiamenese

Re: A problem with quotation marks

Post by xiamenese »

Rachmede wrote:Hi everyone,

I have a little problem with quotation marks. I usually write in french and, by convention, we have to put a space between each quotation mark and the word beside of it. For exemple : «SPACEblablablaSPACE». (In french, quotation marks looks like this : « », instead of this '' '' ). This sometimes creates a problem when a quotation mark happens to be alone on the line : the opening mark at the end of a line while the quotation begins on the next line, or the closing mark at the beginning of a line when the quotation ends at the end of the previous line.

Is there are way to solve this problem and make sure no quotation marks are left alone ?

Thank you.
Put a soft return (press Shift-Return) just before your opening quotation mark. That will ensure the mark stays on the same line with the text you are entering, but will treat all that follows as part of the same paragraph as all that precedes from a formatting point of view, nor will there be no extra line space.

Mark
Rachmede

Post by Rachmede »

Thank you, this solves the case of the opening mark left alone with the quote starting on the next line, but it does not works when the closing mark is alone while the end of the quote is on the previous line, wich is, unfortunatly, what happens most often :D
Elbrecht

Post by Elbrecht »

Hi -

ever tried the following? Place a NON BREAKING SPACE after your first CITATION MARK and before your last CITATION MARK. With Apple's "Character Palette" the NON BREAKING SPACE "U+00A0" is in the "Latin-1 Supplement" Code Table: the very first SPACE before the beginning INVERTED EXCLAMATION MARK.
I customized my keyboard to include the NON BREAKING SPACE with SIL's "Ukelele" tool:
http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page ... id=ukelele
That's easily done and you can fix other troubles this way too...

HE
MacBook Pro i5
SSD 840/850 Pro
High Sierra 10.13.6
Nisus Writer Pro 3.4
Hamid

NO-BREAK SPACE

Post by Hamid »

Elbrecht wrote:I customized my keyboard to include the NON BREAKING SPACE with SIL's "Ukelele" tool
You don't need to do that. I just press Option-Spacebar which gives me NO-BREAK SPACE (U+00A0) in all the fonts that I use.
Elbrecht

Post by Elbrecht »

Hamid -

I was not sure about FRENCH keyboard handling...

HE
MacBook Pro i5
SSD 840/850 Pro
High Sierra 10.13.6
Nisus Writer Pro 3.4
Hamid

Post by Hamid »

It is the same on all the keyboards that I use: US Extended, British, French, Russian, Arabic and Persian. I just checked German and it is not different.
In NW Classic you can also obtain a corresponding (non-Unicode) character by pressing Option-Spacebar.
Rachmede

Post by Rachmede »

Hey,

thank you verry much !

I confirm, my keybord (in french - Canada ) is not different than any US keyboard... well somme keys are dedicated to specific french accent like "À" "É" Â Ï.. etc, but that's all.