attn: Martin

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
K-9

attn: Martin

Post by K-9 »

Ok - Martin --- this is re: an earlier post that my daughter found re: spelling checking error.

I was typing some info for my woodstove combustor in and woodstove and combustor were underlined with red or dotted underline as spelling error. other words were in there too. I go into menu and hit check spelling it it doesn't do anything but blows by to the next underlined and assumed word spelled wrong but doesn't doi anything re: making any suggestions as to the wrong spelling and the right spelling. I know you can correct the right spelling probably by hitting correct spelling; but I have jad other words and so has my daughter that were correct and then what - no correction or suggestion. It should allow me to make a correct choice. I did it again and put the cursor to a prior suggested mis-spelled word and it hit combustor with an yellow/orange think highlight/box - but again no way to pick a suggested correct alternative. That is a bad aspect as far as i am concerned. Other spellcheckers hit the suspected word and seem to give you a possible choice. I am trying to think of which app - maybe mail? There seems to be other apps that worked the same.

OR<

Am I doing something wrong in NWP. It should be that bad.

Thank you.

added: I realize that combustor should be combuster - but - but I have seen this used re: a certain woodburning catalytic combustor spelled that way too whcih is the way i was using it.

anyway - there should not be a blind fix spelling error rather than suggesting a choice or givin the word before you actually replace it - does this make sense.

My daughter's case a month or so ago that I asked you about the word was spelled correctly - checked it many times and many sources and nisus still picked it as a mis-spelled word.

Strange?
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Let me make sure I understand the problem. First, your post is about the same problem you described in this thread, correct? In the future it would be best if you simply reply to the existing thread, thanks.

If I understand correctly the problem occurs when you use the menu Edit > Spelling > Check Spelling. What I don't understand is if the next misspelled word is skipped entirely, or if you expect more to happen than simply highlighting/selecting the next misspelled word. It is the intended behavior that the Check Spelling menu merely selects the next word and does not offer suggestions. If you want a list of suggestions you'll want to use the Spelling Window menu instead.

However, if either of these menus completely skips the next misspelled word, then you're definitely hitting a bug. Let me know, thanks.
K-9

Post by K-9 »

sorry Martin - I figured this way I got your attention. not the misc. thread.

I do not see a spelling window when I just opened NWP. What am I missing?

Thank you -
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

The spelling window is summoned using the menu Edit > Spelling > Spelling Window....
K-9

Post by K-9 »

AHHH - Ok. but tthere still is the aspect of finding correctly spelled words as wrong.

also I just saved a file - did not move it at all and every time I save it a drop box appears saying that it has moved and what to do and where to save? yet nothing ever has moved - never and even after multiple saves. seems like a bug to me. Happened on 1 file so far out of maybe 3 or 4 that i am working on now
xiamenese

Post by xiamenese »

K-9 wrote:AHHH - Ok. but tthere still is the aspect of finding correctly spelled words as wrong.

also I just saved a file - did not move it at all and every time I save it a drop box appears saying that it has moved and what to do and where to save? yet nothing ever has moved - never and even after multiple saves. seems like a bug to me. Happened on 1 file so far out of maybe 3 or 4 that i am working on now
Have you thought about which version of English the spelling checker is using? For instance you're writing UK English and you have left the text in the default US English, or the Spelling Checker is using UK English and you're using US spellings, you're going to get a lot of this. The spelling dictionaries don't combine the different varieties.

HTH

Mark
K-9

Post by K-9 »

nope u.s. englih and u.s. english is used. that is not the problem - thank you anyway.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

K-9 wrote:AHHH - Ok. but tthere still is the aspect of finding correctly spelled words as wrong.
From your initial post I gathered the problem was that NWP was skipping misspelled words, but it's the opposite? Correctly spelled words are selected when you check spelling on the document?

Mark's suggestion here is a good one: make sure the language applied to the text is what it should be (and remember that you can have more than one language applied in a document). NWP automatically changes the spelling dictionary based on the applied language.
Do you rename the file in the Finder, or in any other way?
K-9

Post by K-9 »

Ok I will keep an eye on this spelling thing! Thank you.

No I did not change the name that i know of - but I may have since I was creating and working with multiple 'To Do' types of file lists for around the house and outside and shed and kennel etc.

just curious.

if I did change the name what would that do?

if this save box keeps appearing, then how do I stop that?

changing the name shouldn't make a difference. There is no other file there that comes close to the name

Thank you and please keep the suggestions going on this last situation.

Thank you Martin!
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

If you did rename the file somehow, then it might trigger that dialog. Unfortunately once the dialog is shown, it is displayed each and every save, no matter what (this is a bug).
K-9

Post by K-9 »

OK - maybe I did then - and it bugs me!

:-)))

Thanks!

added:

Martin - I just tried to reopen and save the document and it seems to save Ok - it must be a bug while it is originally open. after closing it and reopening and saving it did not occur.

I was going to copy the info and create a new doc and then paste and trash the old for the new but when i tried it and i just did it one more time to make sure this bug died for now.

:-)
xiamenese

Post by xiamenese »

Hi K9,

If you are sure you haven't got different varieties of English between your text and the spelling checker, the other reason for which words you know to be correct are underlined is that the dictionary as installed simply doesn't include that word, or anything that is close enough that it can suggest an alternative. In those cases it will highlight the word but not make a suggestion. I suspect your 'combustor' comes into this category ... 'combuster' may not exist in the dictionary for it to suggest as an alternative; similarly 'woodstove' might be a proprietary spelling where the normal spelling -- to me, at least -- would be 'wood stove' and yours is perhaps is not in the dictionary. To my knowledge, where I fail to put a space between two words, the result will be marked as unknown, but the dictionary is not savvy enough to suggest inserting a space ... this can be done in the spelling checker, at which point the button text switches to "Change".

I come up against these issues continually in my work with technical or foreign words and names. The solution is to use the Spelling Window which gives you the options "Learn" and "Ignore". Using the former will insert that word into the dictionary, while selecting the latter should unmark all occurrences in the text in question, but subsequent occurrences in other texts will once more be marked. I use "Learn" for words and names which I know I will encounter frequently and just tell it to "Ignore" others which will occur more randomly.

Hope that helps,

Mark
K-9

Post by K-9 »

Thanks Mark,

(shie shie)
K-9

Post by K-9 »

Martin, Ok - is this normal or not? if it is, then it is terrible.

I have a word marked spelled wrong. I highlight the word and choose the spelling window as you suggest,and it goes to the very beginning of the document and starts with words right from the start and not the said highlighted word. if that is correct than that is very inefficient. It should deal specifically with the chosen word and not anything else? Sorry, not trying to be a jerk but that is rather half-ass backwards. It should be concerned with the highlighted word and not start at the very beginning and go through everyword to get to the one that I want to deal with.

thanks Martin.

p.s. these are the little inconveniences that bug me with this App. and so far I am a low-end user; but they seem contrary to other Apps I have used.
dshan

Post by dshan »

K-9 wrote:Martin, Ok - is this normal or not? if it is, then it is terrible.

I have a word marked spelled wrong. I highlight the word and choose the spelling window as you suggest,and it goes to the very beginning of the document and starts with words right from the start and not the said highlighted word. if that is correct than that is very inefficient. It should deal specifically with the chosen word and not anything else? Sorry, not trying to be a jerk but that is rather half-ass backwards. It should be concerned with the highlighted word and not start at the very beginning and go through everyword to get to the one that I want to deal with.

thanks Martin.

p.s. these are the little inconveniences that bug me with this App. and so far I am a low-end user; but they seem contrary to other Apps I have used.
To get a list of suggested spellings for just the currently selected word you don't use the spelling window (that always checks the whole document), instead you right-click (or ctrl-click if you have a single-button mouse) on the selected word, the contextual menu that appears will contain suggested alternate spellings (select the one you want from the list and it'll overwrite the mispelled word in the document). This is the standard way spell checking works in all Cocoa Mac applications, it's not unique to NWP.

This and other ways of using the spell checker are described clearly in the Nisus Writer Pro User Guide manual (Help>"Nisus Writer Pro Help..." menu), starting on page 227 (PDF page # 251). You'll find it a lot faster to learn things by reading the manual than waiting for responses to forum posted questions.