various page number systems

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
K-9

various page number systems

Post by K-9 »

Sorry I never used page numbers before. I need to have the title page and another page un-numbered. I need 2 pages roman numerals. I need all other pages numbered starting with 1 and continuing thereafter. How is this done within 1 document?

Thank you.

p.s. be very clear and specific I do not know NWP at all.
greenmorpher

Post by greenmorpher »

Hello Doggles (NOT Toggle, this is not Doonesbury)

You do it by using sections within your document. You make a section for the first two pages, and don't insert page numbers, then you make a second section for the rest of the document and use the number options "Restart Page Numbers" for this section. That will start you off at "1" wehen you insert page numbers.

Look at the Sections palette in the layout part of the tooldrawer, which you access by clicking on the little page with the enclosed dotted rectangle in the tool drawer icons at the top of the drawer.

To see the tooldrawer, click on "Show Tooldrawer" in the Menu Bar > View menu.

Cheers, Geoff

Geoffrey Heard, Business Writer & Publisher

"Type & Layout: Are you communicating or just making pretty shapes" -- Revealed! The secrets of how you can use type and layout to turbocharge your messages in print. See the book at http://www.worsleypress.com
K-9

Post by K-9 »

Ok - thank you. But... can you explain more about making these sections and about getting other numbers than 1,2,3. like i.ii,iii.

thank you.
K-9

Post by K-9 »

I looked around but not sure how to make the sections that you are talking about - There seems to be 2 possibilities but I had to try it and then screw up all of my hard work. any more help and clarification would be greatly appreciated. thanks.
Groucho

Post by Groucho »

Click by the end of your second page, where you want the document to be split, and select Insert>Section Break>Next Page. If you are in Page View, all of the text that comes after is moved to the next page and so on. If you are in Draft View, a colored line appears with the writing "Section Break (Next Page)".

Now all you have before the said line is in the first section. All that is from there onward is in the second section. If you do not add any break, all the document is in a virtual first section. Think of sections as chapters in a novel where each chapter starts in a new page. Fetch Moby Dick, for example, and take a glance.

Cheers,
Henry.
K-9

Post by K-9 »

Ok - thank you - I will try this. I hope I do not shift everything around by doing this.

I tried highlighting all in said section but that didn't see right.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Starting with a completely new document, here's how to do it:

1. Type up your first two pages of content. Switch to Page View.
2. Click in the header and insert your page number using the menu Insert > Automatic Number > Page Number.
3. Look at the Sections palette- its title should read "Section 1". Underneath the "restart page number" label you'll see a popup button that displays "1, 2, 3". From there choose the number format you want, eg: roman numerals.

Now that you have the first two pages looking as you like, let's configure the rest of the document:

1. At the end of page two, insert a section break using the menu Insert > Section Break > Next Page. You now have two sections in your document, the first section contains the first two pages. The second section has the newly created third page.
2. The Sections palette's title should now say "Section 2", as it operates on the selected section(s).
3. Enable the "restart page number" checkbox so this section restarts its page counting.
4. Type in the starting number you desire and choose the number format from the popup button.