Help from the Help menu

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
dpb

Help from the Help menu

Post by dpb »

Choosing Nisus Writer Pro Help gives me a message saying that help isn't available. Is there a file that I should have placed in some directory to make it available, or is the help document still in preparation?
jmitchell

Re: Help from the Help menu

Post by jmitchell »

[quote="dpb"]Choosing Nisus Writer Pro Help gives me a message saying that help isn't available. Is there a file that I should have placed in some directory to make it available, or is the help document still in preparation?[/quote]

I have the same problem - is there a fix?
mrennie

Post by mrennie »

The Help file is actually a PDF file that can be found inside the NWP application package. If NWP can't find the file, the easiest solution would be to re-download the application and replace the one that is currently in your Applications folder.
dpb

Post by dpb »

mrennie wrote:The Help file is actually a PDF file that can be found inside the NWP application package. If NWP can't find the file, the easiest solution would be to re-download the application and replace the one that is currently in your Applications folder.
Thanks for the tip. I did find the newest version at http://www.nisus.com/files/GetFileRedir ... erProGuide. But whether it's placed in the Applications directory or in the subdirectory "Nisus Writer Pro 1.0.2" , NWP v11b2 is still not finding it even after relaunch. Other suggestions?
Elbrecht

Post by Elbrecht »

Hi -

why stick with NWP 1.0.2 - last version is 1.0.3?

HE
MacBook Pro i5
SSD 840/850 Pro
High Sierra 10.13.6
Nisus Writer Pro 3.4
Dirk_Barends

Post by Dirk_Barends »

dpb wrote:[...]But whether it's placed in the Applications directory or in the subdirectory "Nisus Writer Pro 1.0.2" , NWP v11b2 is still not finding it even after relaunch. Other suggestions?
The help.pdf file should be placed in
Nisus Writer Pro/Contents/Resources/
as
Nisus Writer Pro/Contents/Resources/help.pdf

Dirk Barends
dpb

Post by dpb »

Elbrecht wrote:why stick with NWP 1.0.2 - last version is 1.0.3?
Where do you get it from? NWP-v102-help.zip is what currently downloads from the site.
Dirk_Barends

Post by Dirk_Barends »

dpb wrote:
Elbrecht wrote:why stick with NWP 1.0.2 - last version is 1.0.3?
Where do you get it from? NWP-v102-help.zip is what currently downloads from the site.
The 1.0.2 help file is probably the same als for NWP 1.0.3, as they have the same size.

Dirk Barends
Ruchama

Post by Ruchama »

I simply downloaded the complete 1.03 again, installed it and got the help file back.

http://www.nisus.com/free/pro.php
Groucho

Post by Groucho »

I suppose 1.0.2 and 1.0.3 version of the help file are one and the same thing, as NWP 1.0.3 was just a maintenance update, without any functional change.
If you want the help file to be summoned by Help menu, put it into the application package. Control-click NWP icon in the finder and choose Show Package Contents from the context menu. An open folder appears. Drag the help.pdf file into the Resources folder, which is inside Contents folder. Mind you do not change the name. Restart NWP.
If you want, you can make an alias to the help.pdf file, or a duplicate thereof, and place it anywhere in your HD. Or else, place the alias into the package and the original outside.

Henry.
Northscape

Post by Northscape »

I did all that--placed the Help pdf file in the resources file, but it still doesn't open when I select Help.
Hamid

help.pdf

Post by Hamid »

Northscape wrote:I did all that--placed the Help pdf file in the resources file, but it still doesn't open when I select Help.
If you place the help file manually in Resources, the name of the help file should be exactly:
help.pdf
You need to quit NWP app while placing the file in Resources, or relaunch the app after placing the help file.
DavidK

Post by DavidK »

dpb wrote:NWP v11b2 is still not finding it even after relaunch. Other suggestions?
The beta versions of NWP do not have the help files. If your non-beta version of NWE or NWP do not have help files, then as has been noted, re-download the app files.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

The help file did not change between NWP 1.0.2 and 1.0.3, it is the same. As mentioned, the easiest solution is to simply redownload a copy of NWP 1.0.3 that has the help file intact.

As Hamid noted, if you do choose to mess about with the application package, the help file name must be exactly "help.pdf".