two adjacent characters on the same line

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
dpb

two adjacent characters on the same line

Post by dpb »

At present, is there a way to ensure that two adjacent characters appear on the same line? I'm especially concerned about non-breaking hyphens - I know that [UTF+2011] has that function, but it's not present in all the fonts I use.
greenmorpher

Post by greenmorpher »

Can't help you with a non-breaking hyphen, dpb, but a non-breaking spacve is option+shift+space.

Cheers, Geoff

Geoffrey Heard, Business Writer & Publisher

"Type & Layout: Are you communicating or just making pretty shapes" -- Revealed! The secrets of how you can use type and layout to turbocharge your messages in print. See the book at http://www.worsleypress.com
wb

Post by wb »

Several typefaces have non-breaking hyphens; on my system, these include helvetica, geneva, American Typewriter, and Palatino. (But not Times or Times New Roman...).

If you display the Mac OS X character palette, you can search for the non-breaking hyphen by typing "non" into the search field at the bottom of the palette. Select the "All Characters" view using the popup menu at the top, and then do the search for the non-breaking hyphen. You'll get a display in the Collections panel on the palette of the typefaces that are installed that contain it.

I suggest making a glossary entry to input this character where needed. What I do is to input the non-breaking hyphen only where the linebreaks and regular hyphens require intervention because I ordinarily work in a typeface that lacks the non-breaking hyphen. I have to choose a typeface that provides a reasonable match. I use American Typewriter because its weight is comparable to Times, so I do not notice the change of typeface where the non-breaking hyphen has been inserted. Unfortunately the x height is not exactly the same, so I usually set up exact leading in the paragraph styles.

Now, all of this is kind of cumbersome, given that most of the typefaces lack the non-breaking hyphen, so we might suggest that NWP will eventually add a non-breaking hyphen feature. I think that this would require a change in NWP's linebreaking algorithms to recognize a special character to do non-breaking hyphens. At present, it seems that NWP uses a purely unicode approach, so you have to do what I suggest above.

By the way, the non-breaking space can also be input using the option-space keystroke.
greenmorpher

Post by greenmorpher »

wb wrote:Several typefaces have non-breaking hyphens; on my system, these include helvetica, geneva, American Typewriter, and Palatino. (But not Times or Times New Roman...).

If you display the Mac OS X character palette, you can search for the non-breaking hyphen by typing "non" into the search field at the bottom of the palette. Select the "All Characters" view using the popup menu at the top, and then do the search for the non-breaking hyphen. You'll get a display in the Collections panel on the palette of the typefaces that are installed that contain it.
Thanks for the tip, wb, I didn’t know that. I found I have non-breaking hyphens for Didot and Gentium. Excellent.

The trouble with looking for Nisus to change their spacing, whatever, is that they are using the Apple text engine, and you would be asking them to fiddle with that, I should imagine.

Cheers, Geoff

Geoffrey Heard, Business Writer & Publisher

"Type & Layout: Are you communicating or just making pretty shapes" -- Revealed! The secrets of how you can use type and layout to turbocharge your messages in print. See the book at http://www.worsleypress.com