No occurrences found -- interface tweak

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
greenmorpher

No occurrences found -- interface tweak

Post by greenmorpher »

Hello Nisus people

Can you tweak the Find & Replace interface just a bit so that when nothing is found, the "No occurrences found" words are twice as big, in red, and right at the top of the dialog box?

Every time I don';t find anything, I kind of sit there for seconds wsaiting for a reaction from the mighty Nisus Writer. Then I remember to look for those tiny, gray words ...

Cheers, Geoff

Geoffrey Heard, Business Writer & Publisher

"Type & Layout: Are you communicating or just making pretty shapes" -- Revealed! The secrets of how you can use type and layout to turbocharge your messages in print. See the book at http://www.worsleypress.com
Hamid

beep

Post by Hamid »

Do you not hear the beep on your machine when nothing is found?
Elbrecht

Post by Elbrecht »

Hamid -

not with power head phones on...

HE
MacBook Pro i5
SSD 840/850 Pro
High Sierra 10.13.6
Nisus Writer Pro 3.4
xiamenese

No highlighting?

Post by xiamenese »

Have you got the highlighting found occurrences turned off? On my system, everything found and replaced is highlighted in yellow until I move the caret ... so if there's no yellow, nothing was found! Mind you, I suppose if you've got a document a hundred pages long and only one occurrence is found, that won't help much :)

I just make a habit of immediately looking at that line anyway to see how many occurrences there were, even where I can see there are highlights.

Mark
greenmorpher

Post by greenmorpher »

Nisus Writer doesn't make my computer beep when it has found nothing. In any case, that is irrelevant. I am looking at a dialog box on the screen -- I want a more salient indication in the dialog box, which at that moment is my interface with Nisus Writer, of the outcome of my action with the dialog box.

Mark, you're suggesting that the absence of highlighting of found occurrences should alert me to no occurrences. You're ignoring the fact that the absence of action actually could mean a number of things -- NisusWriter has crashed or frozen, your computer has just died, you've suddenly turned colour blind to the selection colour, the mind boggles at the possibility.

It is necessary to have a positive event that tells you whether anything is happening; specifically whether your last command has been actioned.

Cheers, Geoff

Geoffrey Heard, Business Writer & Publisher

"Type & Layout: Are you communicating or just making pretty shapes" -- Revealed! The secrets of how you can use type and layout to turbocharge your messages in print. See the book at http://www.worsleypress.com