Remembering tray settings

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
dismas

Remembering tray settings

Post by dismas »

Quite often I have to change sections of my text to Courier New font. Every time that I quit NWP, it forgets that I had moved several pages down the list so that Courier New was viewable when I pull down the font menu.

Is there another way of me doing this that I'm missing? Or do I have to keep pulling down the menu each time I use NWP?
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

If I understand correctly, you're referring to the popup menu in the Character palette that displays font names? If so, then yes the scroll location of the list is not remembered between NWP launches.
Hamid

Re: Remembering tray settings

Post by Hamid »

dismas wrote:Is there another way of me doing this that I'm missing? Or do I have to keep pulling down the menu each time I use NWP?
Triple click in the Font Family box to select the current font name and enter the name of the font you want. The font name is auto completed, so as you enter 'Courier' followed by a space 'New' will be auto completed.
dismas

Post by dismas »

martin wrote:If I understand correctly, you're referring to the popup menu in the Character palette that displays font names? If so, then yes the scroll location of the list is not remembered between NWP launches.
Correct. And thank you.
dismas

Post by dismas »

Hamid wrote:
dismas wrote:Is there another way of me doing this that I'm missing? Or do I have to keep pulling down the menu each time I use NWP?
Triple click in the Font Family box to select the current font name and enter the name of the font you want. The font name is auto completed, so as you enter 'Courier' followed by a space 'New' will be auto completed.
That seems like more clicking and typing than my current solution.
Elbrecht

Post by Elbrecht »

Well -

you could de-activate all the fonts never used in Apple's Font Book - i.e. the fonts beginning with "A, B, C" at least: to shorten the scrolling way to Courier each time you re-start Nisus Writer. Or just don't quit NWP/E - if working on an Intel machine with lots of RAM installed.

HE
MacBook Pro i5
SSD 840/850 Pro
High Sierra 10.13.6
Nisus Writer Pro 3.4
Hamid

Post by Hamid »

dismas wrote:That seems like more clicking and typing than my current solution.
Try the Fonts panel (Command-t). You can leave it at 'Fixed Width' when you quit NWP. It remembers the settings when you next invoke it from within NWP. You can also add the fonts you use most to the 'Favorites' collection.
Elbrecht

Post by Elbrecht »

Hi Hamid -

that's the Apple way I am used to - but it still would be cool to get the Nisus Writers to display all fonts used in an opened RTF document top most. This way one could easily controll all fonts used - even blanks or whites or whatever deadheads.

And NW could display missing fonts of foreign RTF documents opened - as with good old NW Classic - colored top most as well...

Martin please note my feature request!

HE
MacBook Pro i5
SSD 840/850 Pro
High Sierra 10.13.6
Nisus Writer Pro 3.4
Hamid

feature request

Post by Hamid »

Elbrecht wrote:Martin please note my feature request!
I second that.
greenmorpher

Post by greenmorpher »

Elbrecht wrote:it ... would be cool to get the Nisus Writers to display all fonts used in an opened RTF document top most.
That is absolutely what ought to happen, Elbrecht. NWE/P spends an inordinate amount of time on launching in "typesetting" the document -- reading the fonts and applying them -- why it can't them incorporate them into the font menu is a puzzle.

And while they are fixing that, they could build in a far superior font menu display like that of Fontcard -- a haxie which I use for all programs which will work with it without any problems whatsoever.

It does work a little clumsily with NWE/P, offering a parallel font menu next to NWE/P's drabe and wretched one, instead of replacing the program's menu as it does with some others. And it doesn't work with the Character palette, unfortunately.

Cheers, Geoff

Geoffrey Heard, Business Writer & Publisher

"Type & Layout: Are you communicating or just making pretty shapes" -- Revealed! The secrets of how you can use type and layout to turbocharge your messages in print. See the book at http://www.worsleypress.com