Problem with Text flickering on/off in wrong pages

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
AaronM

Problem with Text flickering on/off in wrong pages

Post by AaronM »

For a while now (ever since I switched to Leopard on my MacBook, as far as I can tell), I've had a problem with text from preceding pages flickering on and off within the page I'm looking at. This happens when I am scrolling and the text of the page in view either disappears or is kind of over-written by text from other pages. Do others have this problem, and if so is there anything to be done? I was hoping 1.1 would remedy the problem, but it only seems to have gotten worse. I'm about two flickers away from going back to MS Word.
JRP

Re: Problem with Text flickering on/off in wrong pages

Post by JRP »

I don't believe this is a Nisus problem. but rather a Mac OS Leopard issue that's been documented for MacBooks. Check the Mac forums at Apple for more information.
AaronM

Post by AaronM »

Not sure about that. It only does it in Nisus and has only ever done it in Nisus. I also use MS Word for elaborately formatted documents, etc., and never see this there. I searched various Mac Forums without any luck.
AaronM

Post by AaronM »

Correction: I have now found a post referring to "graphical tearing."

http://www.macnn.com/articles/08/04/14/ ... book.bugs/

This links the problem to a newer processor than I have, however, and I'm still not sure why it would only be happening in Nisus.
xiamenese

Post by xiamenese »

You won't necessarily have the problem in Word, Mellel, Papyrus or Mariner Write, or NeoOffice or OpenOffice because they use their own proprietary text engines to draw the pages on screen, whereas Nisus, TextEdit, Bean and a host of others are based on Apple's text engine, so will behave differently. Do you have your document set at a magnification of other than 100%. That sometimes causes unwanted graphical effects.

Mark
AaronM

Post by AaronM »

Thanks Mark. That makes sense. I haven't yet downloaded the 10.5.3 update. Maybe Apple has addressed some the text engine problems. Maybe not. In any case, I'm glad to understand what's happening.